Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I got a letter from AQA saying I got one of the top five marks in the country for maths, and I was wondering how many people got it, and what marks did you get? I know this thread obviously won't emcompass everyone who got it, but it will give me a rough idea of the amount at least... (I'm not trying to show off. It was down to luck on getting enough 100% modules, and I'm sure a fair number of people here did better than me).

I got 598/600, and I know someone who got 595 and got a letter (From the same state school A-level class! My teacher must be pleased).

Thanks all
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Anybody with 595+ UMS will get it (hence, top 5).

ReputationRep:
    I know. I asked for the marks they got because as I said in the post, I know someone who got a letter with 595 marks. Hence, at least one of the possibilities from 596,597,598,599 and 600 was not attained by anyone, and I'm just wondering which it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Anybody with 595+ UMS will get it (hence, top 5).
    Not necessarily. Suppose 5 people get 600/600, then the person who got 596/600 did not get in the top 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Not necessarily. Suppose 5 people get 600/600, then the person who got 596/600 did not get in the top 5.
    Ah, no. The letter is for the top five MARKS attained, not the top five pupils. Hence why I'm interested in the number of people who got it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No. You're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fair enough.
    I remember a thread on here a while back titled "Who else got a top 5 letter in AQA English?" with 30 replies, and I didn't know what the **** was going on either. The name is slightly confusing. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got a top 5 letter for AQA Further Maths, but not for Maths.

I think I got 591/600 in Maths, and 596/600 in Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    actually anybody with 596+ ums should get one, othewise they would have to call it top 6 if it included 595

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dystopia)
    I got a top 5 letter for AQA Further Maths, but not for Maths.

I think I got 591/600 in Maths, and 596/600 in Further Maths.
    I did fairly badly in Further Maths this year. I've no idea why, but no one did very well on both FP2 and FP3, and S1 I just found horrendous anyway so I had no chance of getting one in FM:P

(Original post by psanghaLFC)
    actually anybody with 596+ ums should get one, othewise they would have to call it top 6 if it included 595
    Not necessarily, because there's a chance that no one in the country got 597/600 - and so this mark will not be included in the 'Top five marks attained', and so they'd look for people who got 595, ie the next one down the list.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.