Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a significant difference in the sheer amount of workload between a BTEC National Diploma and 3 A Levels? Obviously, I guess a lot of people taking BTEC would find it easier because generally they have a genuine interest in what they're studying and want to persue a career in that area. I'm taking A Levels because I'm not sure what I want to do, yet I'm a bit worried about whether or not I'll be able to handle the work load, and whether or not a BTEC might have been a better choice. Problem is, I couldn't pinpoint any particular BTEC I was interested in doing, and didn't like the idea of how significantly narrowed my degree/career options would be from studying a BTEC.

So, is a BTEC as hard as 3 A Levels if you are starting both from scratch, with not much knowledge of the vocational area the BTEC is covering? Also, is there much difference in the work outside class you'd be expected to do for both courses?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Since I chose a BTEC National Diploma over A Levels I'd be curious to know if there is much difference also. Since with a BTEC you'll be studying 1 subject more intensely then you would 3 different A levels.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not sure what career area you want to pursue then it's best to choose A-Levels because trust me you may be changing your mind A LOT throughout college about what job you want.

In BTEC, you are constnatly given coursework like pretty much every single week and they're all big assignments because each unit has around three assignments to do and each assignment is made up of three different tasks (a Pass task, Merit task and Distincition task).

You don't normally get weekly homework in A-Levels but you have a lot of private studying to do and, for some subjects, you're assessed through little test inside the classroom. Some people have managed to get a decent grade in A-Level by dossing and revising a couple of weeks before their exams - I don't mean to sound cynical or like one of those TSR snobs/geeks/freaks but it's true.

BTec - you focus on one disapline, more vocational
    A Level - focus on a range of disaplines, different skills, more academic

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I found the workload on the BTEC to be a little bit more than A-Levels in terms of general written work - But it's this written work that you are assessed on, not your exams. You don't take exams.

Equally with the BTEC you have more than one chance to go back and corrent your work after it has been graded, which is an advantage and can often take some of the strain of the workload (For example, if you have 4 peices due in in one week, you can go for Passes on one, and then upgrade with your remark - Although be careful, some colleges don't allow this!!)

The work on my BTEC (What is now Btec Childcare Learning and something or other) was steady, and didn't incredably increase in year two. I found it kept me busy enough to balance with a reasonably healthy social life.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.