mte52013
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I am planning on going to uni this September and hope to find a place through adjustment on results day. I was therefore wondering if anyone knows how the process works.
Are places offered on a first come first serve basis, or will unis take count of who is interested in a place and then offer it to whom they perceive to be the strongest applicant?
Thanks for any help.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mte52013)
Hi, I am planning on going to uni this September and hope to find a place through adjustment on results day. I was therefore wondering if anyone knows how the process works.
Are places offered on a first come first serve basis, or will unis take count of who is interested in a place and then offer it to whom they perceive to be the strongest applicant?
Thanks for any help.
Adjustment offers tend to be very difficult to get. In previous years only just over a 1000 get in so dont bank on it. You also have difficulty then with accommodation.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for any help.
Are you already holding an offer?

Different unis will use different methods to decide who to offer a place to. Realistically, it's rare for there only to be one place on offer (except on very small courses), so they may offer available places on a first come/first serve basis, or they may keep a list and decide who to offer places to later on. Bear in mind that not many students use adjustment and places are not advertised, so unis won't necessarily be expecting lots of phonecalls.

In my opinion, it always better to ring as early as possible on results day. Get any offers made over the phone confirmed in writing ASAP, and make sure you are really clear if a uni offers you a place but you don't want to accept it there and then.

It's worth bearing in mind that due to student number controls, there will be a lot of courses at top unis that are "full" this year.
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Adjustment offers tend to be very difficult to get. In previous years only just over a 1000 get in so dont bank on it. You also have difficulty then with accommodation.
I think the low numbers are due more to lack of student interest in/understanding of adjustment, rather than the difficulty in securing a place?
mte52013
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Are you already holding an offer?

Different unis will use different methods to decide who to offer a place to. Realistically, it's rare for there only to be one place on offer (except on very small courses), so they may offer available places on a first come/first serve basis, or they may keep a list and decide who to offer places to later on. Bear in mind that not many students use adjustment and places are not advertised, so unis won't necessarily be expecting lots of phonecalls.

In my opinion, it always better to ring as early as possible on results day. Get any offers made over the phone confirmed in writing ASAP, and make sure you are really clear if a uni offers you a place but you don't want to accept it there and then.

It's worth bearing in mind that due to student number controls, there will be a lot of courses at top unis that are "full" this year.

I think the low numbers are due more to lack of student interest in/understanding of adjustment, rather than the difficulty in securing a place?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am currently holding an offer to study economics at Birmingham (AAB), however it was only intended to be my back up, but as I was rejected by all of my other choices I have now had to firm it. I am expecting to get better grades than AAB, hence why I am considering adjustment.
I have been looking at a number of potential unis, and Bath and Exeter seem to be my best chance of success. Do you know anything about these two in regards to adjustment?
I was also wondering if you know whether unis will have a rough idea now if they will be able to offer places on certain courses through adjustment, or if they will only know on results day?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was also wondering if you know whether unis will have a rough idea now if they will be able to offer places on certain courses through adjustment, or if they will only know on results day?
If unis have vacancies for Economics in Clearing (opens July 6th) they will also be happy to recruit people via Adjustment so you could see if those unis have vacancies in Clearing. However they will not consider anyone for the Adjustment route until they have their exam results
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am currently holding an offer to study economics at Birmingham (AAB), however it was only intended to be my back up, but as I was rejected by all of my other choices I have now had to firm it. I am expecting to get better grades than AAB, hence why I am considering adjustment.
I have been looking at a number of potential unis, and Bath and Exeter seem to be my best chance of success. Do you know anything about these two in regards to adjustment?
Unfortunately, it's hard to know who gets accepted via adjustment and where as vacancies aren't publicised. You could try posting on economics and ppe university courses university of bath and university of exeter for experiences. Exeter and Bath do both take students via adjustment, but I can't really say more than that. I'd expect you to have to meet their standard offer at least to be considered.

Unis might have some idea now, so there is no harm in asking. They are unlikely to give you a firm answer, though!

Unfortunately, this year there is a cap on student numbers at English universities, limiting the number of students they take. I would expect economics at Bath to be the sort of course that might be affected by the cap, as Bath is quite a popular uni for maths-y type courses and economics tends to be a popular course anyway. Exeter, I think would be a bit more likely to have places available- but again economics is a popular course, so these places probably would be quite limited. Would you consider a joint honours at either university?

However, with adjustment there is no risk to at least contacting the unis on results day, so there is no harm in giving it a go.

Which other unis were you considering?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I cant say for certain but I dont think either will have vacancies for UK applicants. I dont think they did last year. Even if they do that wouldnt be a huge step up from Birmingham. You will also have the problem of finding accommodation at very short notice and both are fairly expensive cities to live in. You might well find the accommodation will be off campus as well. I know a few years ago people who got in as insurance offers or through clearing ended up next to Exeter St Davids station which is a 20 minute walk to the station but since that time Exeter university has increased the number of rooms on campus.
mte52013
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Unfortunately, it's hard to know who gets accepted via adjustment and where as vacancies aren't publicised. You could try posting on economics and ppe university courses university of bath and university of exeter for experiences. Exeter and Bath do both take students via adjustment, but I can't really say more than that. I'd expect you to have to meet their standard offer at least to be considered.

Unis might have some idea now, so there is no harm in asking. They are unlikely to give you a firm answer, though!

Unfortunately, this year there is a cap on student numbers at English universities, limiting the number of students they take. I would expect economics at Bath to be the sort of course that might be affected by the cap, as Bath is quite a popular uni for maths-y type courses and economics tends to be a popular course anyway. Exeter, I think would be a bit more likely to have places available- but again economics is a popular course, so these places probably would be quite limited. Would you consider a joint honours at either university?

However, with adjustment there is no risk to at least contacting the unis on results day, so there is no harm in giving it a go.

Which other unis were you considering?
Yes, I would consider taking a joint honours as they generally don't seem to differ too much from straight economics. But, will the fact that I initially only applied for straight economics courses affect a potential application for a joint honours degree at all?

I was initially hoping to go to Durham or Warwick, but my applications to both were rejected and it's unlikely that either will be offering places through adjustment. I had been considering Leeds, but I don't think that it is that great of a step up from Birmingham. UCL have also been on my radar, but again, I think it unlikely that they will be offering places come results day.

With clearing opening next week, will this give a good representation of what courses may be available come A-Level results day, or will most vacancies only appear then?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Yes, I would consider taking a joint honours as they generally don't seem to differ too much from straight economics. But, will the fact that I initially only applied for straight economics courses affect a potential application for a joint honours degree at all?

I was initially hoping to go to Durham or Warwick, but my applications to both were rejected and it's unlikely that either will be offering places through adjustment. I had been considering Leeds, but I don't think that it is that great of a step up from Birmingham. UCL have also been on my radar, but again, I think it unlikely that they will be offering places come results day.

With clearing opening next week, will this give a good representation of what courses may be available come A-Level results day, or will most vacancies only appear then?
Universities who know or expect to have places available might be there from the start. The more competitive universities and courses wont know if they have spaces until results day. From what I remember from last and previous years I dont think that Economics at Exeter has been in clearing/adjustment and I suspect the same will apply to Bath. Realistically all the top 20 universities will be of very similar standard and Birmingham wont really be that inferior to Bath or Exeter.

The real issue is that most students in any university will have had their accommodation by the time you apply for one. People who firm a university have first choice, insurance second and clearing adjustment students come bottom of the pile. Whilst that might be worth it if there was a big difference the differences between these universities would be negligeable. Sometimes students have to look for private housing because the accommodation is taken. Last year Bristol placed clearing or adjustment students 31 miles away due to the lack of rooms in Bristol. You really need to ask yourself is moving to what is really no better a university worth this kind of hassle.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Usually unis won't mind you switching to joint honours on results day- they want to fill the course after all. You'd have to persuade them you're genuinely interested in the joint honours, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Of the unis you've mentioned, I think UCL is the least likely to offer places via adjustment- even in recent years they haven't had many/any spaces available. Durham and Warwick may be worth a try, especially if you are willing to consider joint honours- you might get lucky.

I agree that Leeds probably isn't a step up from Birmingham, but if you prefer the city/course they still might be worth talking to.

The courses that come out next week will be the ones unis have really struggled to fill- a lot more vacancies will come out on results day. Remember that unis do accept students via adjustment onto courses that aren't included on the clearing lists as well- so don't feel like you can't call a uni even if they aren't advertising something.
StDave
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 hours ago
Exeter has economics in clearing for 2020, with AAB needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (71)
19.03%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.38%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.23%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.46%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads