The Student Room Group

How to start investing in stocks as a complete beginner!

[video="youtube;PdDRvNVeAcc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDRvNVeAcc&list=PLTMCpz2kriIBsQkrh7VGH0DazF PpcJpBT[/video]I've learned lots about investing over the past few months and wanted to share some beginners tips if anyone wants to start investing! These are more for anyone looking to invest in the UK but work almost anywhere! Hope it's useful :smile:
Reply 1
isn't investing in stocks the rich boy's equivalent of the lottery?
(no disrespect to your hobby, good sir)
Reply 2
Original post by -jacob
isn't investing in stocks the rich boy's equivalent of the lottery?
(no disrespect to your hobby, good sir)

Not if you do it right :smile: trading is like you describe where you try to make money in the short term but as no one can consistently predict what stocks will do in the short term it is like a lottery and almost all people who try to trade in the short term, lose money! But if you invest in the long term in to a broad index or blended fund then it's not as risky and fairly stable and secure (in the long term) :smile: or you can do a load of research to find amazing companies to invest in and then you're not gambling either because you understand what you're investing in and that's the important thing :smile: it's only gambling if you don't know what you're doing 😂😂but there is a perception that investing is like that and I want to change that too!
Reply 3
Original post by Maxtalks
Not if you do it right :smile: trading is like you describe where you try to make money in the short term but as no one can consistently predict what stocks will do in the short term it is like a lottery and almost all people who try to trade in the short term, lose money! But if you invest in the long term in to a broad index or blended fund then it's not as risky and fairly stable and secure (in the long term) :smile: or you can do a load of research to find amazing companies to invest in and then you're not gambling either because you understand what you're investing in and that's the important thing :smile: it's only gambling if you don't know what you're doing 😂😂but there is a perception that investing is like that and I want to change that too!

ah, very interesting - ok.
i might check out the vid later on in that case, seems i might have an inaccurate view of what investing is really like. thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest