The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

What grade roughly is 2 full solutions. (With potential flaws.)
- And Q3 where part 1 was fine but for part 2 I showed J(n) < 1/n+1((1+tanb)^n-cos^nb) not 1/n.
- And Q6 where only the differentiation and rearranging to find g(X) as the logarithm of trig functions was right.
- And like 2-3 marks in Q2.
Many thanks
Here's Q3 of the paper, on integration:
Q3:

Spoiler

My solution:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
I u

Original post by Junkmaniac
Here's Q3 of the paper, on integration:
Q3:

Spoiler

My solution:

Spoiler

I used am gm inequalities for the

[latex]J_{n+1}+J_{n-1}

result, but otherwise that's how I did the question also
Indeed---the parametric question was quite a gift, because there wasn't much requirement for inspiration until the last part, where you had to find the perpendicular distance and the equation of the curve.

I think the perpendicular distance wasn't really inspiration needed, but the curve was (I did all but that in the problem)
Original post by gitHappens
I think the perpendicular distance wasn't really inspiration needed, but the curve was (I did all but that in the problem)

I think the distance was 1 right?

Ah, it took me a while to get that one. Fortunately, there's no working involved, so I doubt it could be worth more than two marks.
The other two questions I could recall:

Q2:

Spoiler

Mfw matrices is added into the specification to fuel a question on inequalities

Q11:

Spoiler

It is exhausting to typeset solutions so I guess I'll just leave these hanging for now. Do correct me if any details are wrong because its terribly hard to recollect all of that from memory
(edited 2 years ago)
The other two questions I could recall:

Q2:

Spoiler

Mfw matrices is added into the specification to fuel a question on inequalities

Q11:

Spoiler

It is exhausting to typeset solutions so I guess I'll just leave these hanging for now. Do correct me if any details are wrong because its terribly hard to recollect all of that from memory

that Q11 looks like a gift. nicest question on the paper?
Original post by _gcx
that Q11 looks like a gift. nicest question on the paper?

Would still give it to Q1. Q1 was relatively straightforward algebra with no tricks. I think some thinking is still required for Q11.
Would still give it to Q1. Q1 was relatively straightforward algebra with no tricks. I think some thinking is still required for Q11.

What was Q1 on?
Original post by _gcx
What was Q1 on?

Hm, they first gave a set of parametric equations (trigo related) and asked to find the equation of thenormal at the parameter t=θt=\theta.

Then, they asked to prove that this line is a tangent to x23+y23=4x^{\frac{2}{3}} + y^{\frac{2}{3}} = 4 at the point (8cos3θ,8sin3θ)(8cos^3 \theta , 8sin^3 \theta ), or something.

Next part was another set of parametric equations. Again, asked to find the equation of the normal.

Next, find perpendicular distance from the normal to the origin (its 1)

Hence, find a Cartesian equation free of t that this normal is a tangent to. (Since the normal is 1 unit from the origin, it is tangent to the unit circle.)
Hm, they first gave a set of parametric equations (trigo related) and asked to find the equation of thenormal at the parameter t=θt=\theta.

Then, they asked to prove that this line is a tangent to x23+y23=4x^{\frac{2}{3}} + y^{\frac{2}{3}} = 4 at the point (8cos3θ,8sin3θ)(8cos^3 \theta , 8sin^3 \theta ), or something.

Next part was another set of parametric equations. Again, asked to find the equation of the normal.

Hence, find a Cartesian equation free of t that this normal is a tangent to. (Since the normal is 1 unit from the origin, it is tangent to the unit circle.)

Just sounds like a standard calculus exercise - hopefully gave a relatively confident starter.
Original post by _gcx
Just sounds like a standard calculus exercise - hopefully gave a relatively confident starter.

Indeed.
Reply 593

How many marks do you think finding the distance was worth?
Original post by bos0n
How many marks do you think finding the distance was worth?

Together with the hence part, maybe 5 marks?
(edited 2 years ago)
Lmao I did 11 I think perfectly but actually had trouble on 1 and got the distance wrong somehow lmao so I think 11 was the better gift.
How many marks would proving that the matrices had determinant 0 be worth?
Reply 597
How many marks would proving that the matrices had determinant 0 be worth?

yeah thats worrying me as well bc I didn't really explain it...
Reply 598
and the final inequality? would you guess it to be more than 5 marks?
Original post by bos0n
and the final inequality? would you guess it to be more than 5 marks?

I doubt so--- actually it can be done in one line, because a/(b+c) + b/(a+c) + c/(a+b) > a/(a+b+c) + b/(a+b+c) + c/(a+b+c)=1.

The inequality is quite weak, a stronger bound would be
a/(b+c) + b/(a+c) + c/(a+b) >= 3/2, by Nesbitt's inequality. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nesbitt%27s_inequality)

Unfortunately for me I didn't see the way to go for the last part so I kinda ended up quoting the inequality--doubt that will give me any marks haha
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending