The Student Room Group

thoughts on doing a semi-useless degree at uni?

No idea what to do at uni. What do you think about doing a philosophy degree or something like it to further myself as an individual with less emphasis on the importance of the degree itself? Also any other degrees like this you guys know of?
cheers!
Reply 1
Original post by oscar_wills
No idea what to do at uni. What do you think about doing a philosophy degree or something like it to further myself as an individual with less emphasis on the importance of the degree itself? Also any other degrees like this you guys know of?
cheers!

if it improves you as an individual, and you get good contact hours then it might be worth it.
being a good networker is also very useful as well to make contacts for the future.
cheers!

Hi @oscar_wills

I can definitely understand the temptation to go to university for the experience however I would recommend knowing what you want to study before choosing to go! University is a big commitment both financially and in terms of time so to get the most out of your degree (and arguably further yourself the most), it is important to select a course that you are passionate about and can engage with. If you need any inspiration for what degree might be best suited for you then I have attached a link to all of our offered courses HERE.

Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
cheers!

I think if you think a degree will be semi-useless, then it's not the right one for you.

It's fine to do a degree that doesn't directly lead to any/many jobs, but I think you need to be passionate about it to get something out of it!
Jeeeez...
Reply 6
If you think a phil degree is useless I can pretty much guarantee you will struggle with its demands

Seen it too many times

The others are right: pick something else.
you could do a joint honours philosophy degree with mathematics or computer science. that will give you more options when it comes to careers and employability.
Reply 8
And most philosophers are hypocritical and disappointing people, so the self-improvement thing is usually nonsense, too :lol:
Do languages! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending