Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Well Mathematics was my strongest subject out of Maths,English & Science but I achieved BBB! But I got a very high "B" in Mathematics and still got into AS-level Maths but do you think I should leave AS-level Mathematics and do GCSE Mathematics and try and get a grade "A" and start AS-level Maths, one year later?

This is because I want it to look good to Universties! I am thinking of doing an Economics degree or Mathematics & Economics degree or Economics with Mathematics degree! But I am not sure yet?

So do you think I should spend a year re-taking GCSE Mathematics for a grade "A" along-side 3AS-level and then start AS-level Mathematics after ive finished GCSE Mathematics. Only because I want it to look good to Universities or do you think it is what you get in your AS-level Maths that counts more?

Thanks

Amit

ReputationRep:
    No, It's a bad idea. Do the A-level and get an A. It'll look a million times better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This may be only for Medicine, but Universities say "...Maths at grade A unless offered at A-Level".

So if you get a good grade in your A2, you're set.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you do it like that youll leave with only an As in maths...
    and do to Maths or Economics youd need a full A level...

Unless ive misunderstood you?

ReputationRep:
    Universities will know that you resat, so it's not really worth it bro. Just prove your ability at A-Level, and you're fine!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise resitting it.
    Although i have seen maths(including maths & economics) courses at top unis which require an A or A* at gcse.
    If you're sure that you're capable of an A at A level though i wouldn't worry too much about it...just make sure you do really well in AS maths next year to compensate.

[Edit] I would advise having a quick look around the prospectuses of Unis which you may wish to apply to, see what they say about gcse grades...then you know you're definately not shooting yourself in the foot.

p.s. I applied for Maths with Economics courses, and realised (at the end of year 12) that many of the top Unis aren't so keen on you for Maths courses if you don't have Further Maths, which meant I had to take up further maths this year, which i really wouldn't advise...it was alot of hard work/trouble for both my school's maths department and myself, time really IS an issue!

If it says in the prospectus 'We prefer Further Maths, but it's not essential", it usually means "good luck trying to get in without it".

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop A-Level Maths. You could probably get an A with a resit with GCSE Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Do A-level maths, and resit your GCSE maths. It'll make GCSE maths look much, much easier, and you'll probably even get an A*!

Would Universities like Oxbridge frown upon resitting GCSE exams? I mean, they're not too important, so would they really care if you did?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't resit particulary unless you are thinking of applying to universities such as LSE for economics, who I have heard place a strong emphasis on GCSE performance.

ReputationRep:
    I see you are wanting to have both A's at GCSE and GCE..but honeslty mate that B is good and unless you reallly want the A at gcse then do it however like others said A at AS is greater. Are you planning on doing a Full Maths A level or just the maths AS?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't resit. Just make sure to improve on your maths in your AS and get an A and then it will probably make the GCSE grade redundant, unless of course you want to go to a Uni where GCSE grades are really important. e.g LSE

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, they won't look at your GCSE if you done an A Level in it. If you apply to Uni with Just AS however, you have thrown away your chances. Take it this year, otherwise you WILL regret it, any courses requiring Maths are competitive.

Unis won't know about GCSE resits btw.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.