Turn on thread page Beta

Beijing 2008 - Greatest Olympics Ever? watch

• View Poll Results: Has Beijing been the greatest Olympics?
    Yes It Has Been
    50.57%
    No
    18.39%
    Maybe - I haven't watched others games
    20.69%
    It doesn't bother me
    10.34%

ReputationRep:
    I definitely don't feel like this is the greatest olympic games of all time....China is still a country that is overshadowed by many humanitarian concerns.....and it disturbs me that this is China's "coming out party" when coming out parties are generally very close to the desired finished product.....and China has a long, long way to go.

(out of tibet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K o k o)
    Its got to be Sydney 2000...I mean, helloOo.

:eek:
    you're australian. your vote doenst count

(Original post by curryADD)
    I definitely don't feel like this is the greatest olympic games of all time....China is still a country that is overshadowed by many humanitarian concerns.....and it disturbs me that this is China's "coming out party" when coming out parties are generally very close to the desired finished product.....and China has a long, long way to go.

(out of tibet)
    i'd agree to that, except from the out of tibet bit.

But i'd say Olympics will be its greatest when it's free of issues and controversies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...do/7578743.stm

lol
    The ref deserved it, shocking decision...maybe slightly excessive by the Cuban though. The whole taekwondo competition has been a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    The ref deserved it, shocking decision...maybe slightly excessive by the Cuban though. The whole taekwondo competition has been a joke.
    excessive penalty & an excessive reaction... same ****

ReputationRep:
    Only because he's a swimmer - they have so many medals available, it's hardly the achievement it's made out to be.
    I think it's remarkable, personally, that any one person could be expected to go for gold, cool-down for 20 minutes, get a medal, warm up, and then swim anouther world record breaking time.....within an hour of setting a previous one.

Sure, swimming has a ton of medals available, but so does track and field...... Several people have pointed out that sprinters train differently than middle/long distance runners in track and field, and differently than hurdlers.....:rolleyes:

wow.

as both a former track runner AND swimmer I can conclusively tell you that not only is swimming harder than running (lots less air while competing, for one thing) you also have to train in FOUR DIFFERENT STROKES....all of which require different approaches to the wall, and different finish touch training, as well as the unbelievable amount of technique that one has to learn and practice for every stroke.

i can list just a few things that as a former j natter i had to practice every day:

stroke count, approaching walls, counting breaths, rhythm and glide in breastroke, speed of leg snap in breastroke, length of glide in breastroke, how fast the roll is from side to side on backstroke, whether or not (and i'm serious) you could balance a teacup on your butt while doing freestyle, height out of water from butterfly, rhythm and placement of arms.....how far the cup of your hands should come out of the water for breastroke, and how you have to constantly picture your hips rising over a triangle as you kick.

oh, and you have to do this all with speed, of course. sprinters train as sprinters in swimming, as do long distance and middle distance swimmers.

now, michael phelps does sprints (100Fly) both distances of IM, both middle distance fly AND free, and two relays.

exhausting.

and fyi, most swimmers have just one stroke they excel at.....very, very few could even hope to qualify in two different individual strokes, much less at different lengths, and with IMs on top of that.

so.....nice try! but no cigar.:no:

(Original post by one2three_abc)
    eh, you have weird morals.
    quite rightly you say that the letter of the law should be stuck to when dealing with possibly underage chinese gymnasts

but when this cuban chap stays down longer than the rules say he is allowed (giving himeslf an advantage in the fight), despite being warned to restart, you say its stupid that hes been punished.

stick to the letter of the law with some athletes but not others.. right

maybe you should get kicked in the face at work someday.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, Syndey was by far better.

The first real spectacular Olympics.

Beijing is too clinical and made up. Though for team GB it has been great.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. It's had a lot of money thrown at it, and some fairly amazing moments, but the serious controversies surrounding it (and I'm not including Tibet in this) overshadow any sort of pomp attempted by the Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    Since its been the first one I've ever seen
    I would say it was pretty good yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stryker101)
    eh, you have weird morals.
    quite rightly you say that the letter of the law should be stuck to when dealing with possibly underage chinese gymnasts

but when this cuban chap stays down longer than the rules say he is allowed (giving himeslf an advantage in the fight), despite being warned to restart, you say its stupid that hes been punished.

stick to the letter of the law with some athletes but not others.. right

maybe you should get kicked in the face at work someday.
    As one person said..."excessive penalty, excessive reaction"...tough ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    Snip
    Sure, I do understand how hard swimmer - I'm a swimmer myself. However, that wasn't what I was saying - whilst Phelps has done a great achievement I don't you can say he's the greatest Olympian when there are many others who've made their contribution but can only have the opportunity to score one medal e.g. Ainslie.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I do understand how hard swimmer - I'm a swimmer myself. However, that wasn't what I was saying - whilst Phelps has done a great achievement I don't you can say he's the greatest Olympian when there are many others who've made their contribution but can only have the opportunity to score one medal e.g. Ainslie.
    nowhere did i state that michael phelps was the GREATEST olympian OF ALL TIME. however, his achievements are definitely worth the amazing amount of recognition he gets for them.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.