How does non-ideal solution affect the process of distillation?

Watch
Liya9182002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Can anyone give me a specific explanation for this?
Can you also explain the overall application of Raoult's law in distillation?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Raoult's law says that the total vapour pressure is proportional to the sum of the vapour pressures of the individual components of a liquid mixture, and that the vapour pressure of the individual components is equal to the pure vapour pressure x the mole fraction of the component.

This leads to a straight line on a graph for total vapour pressure against % composion of the two components.

Non-ideality is caused by interaction between the particles of each component which creates deviation from Raoult's law and the vapour pressure/composition straight line becomes curved, either up or down, depending on the type of interparticular interactions.

This may create a maximum in the vapour pressure curve, which prevents separation of the two components by fractional distillation, as the % composition at this point will have a boiling point minimum and produce a constant boiling mixture called an azeotrope.

One example of this occurs in mixtures of ethanol and water, where the azeotrope has 95.63% ethanol and 4.37% water. This mixture boils at 78.2ºC under atmospheric pressure and produces a vapour with exactly the same compostion, meaning that fractional distillation cannot separate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (342)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (35)
3.01%
I'm not a current university student (561)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed