The Student Room Group

Tooth extraction due to abscess

Hi, I’m new to the student room and would never normally post but I’m terrified of having my tooth removed.
Around 6/7 years ago part of my tooth broke off of my molar and it required a deep filling to repair it. My dentist seemed to believe the tooth must have had a weakness when it pushed through as there was no apparent signs of tooth decay and the rest of my teeth were fine. I was made aware that the tooth would most likely die and I would have to decide wether to have it extracted or go through root canal in the future but I didn’t think at the time as I was around 14 and didn’t even know what root canal was 😂
Anyway a few months ago I noticed a slight swelling and pain in the gum around my tooth and me being an idiot and terrified of the dentist decided to wait until the last minute to go. I managed to get an appointment the friday before lockdown started and the dentist confirmed there was an abscess there. She told me that it was either root canal or extraction however the anatomy of my teeth would make root canal rather difficult so I decided on extraction (root canal was also a lot more expensive as I’m private)
My dentist has reopened and luckily as I had pending treatment I’m down as a priority so I can get the tooth extraction soon (waiting for them to confirm a date) however I’m terrified!!
The situation with the coronavirus has made me even more nervous as my regular dentist isn’t currently working (I’ve had her my whole life) so I’m having to have the other dentist perform the procedure. I’ve spoken to him on the phone which made me feel less nervous however he made me aware that he may have to leave parts of the roots in my mouth due to the shape of them!
I’m also worried about the gap, Before the lockdown I was told my wisdom tooth could possibly push my back molar into the gap however it’s come through during lockdown so I guess there’s no chance of the gap closing!

Just wondering is anyone has been through tooth extraction and has any tips on staying calm? Also if they’ve had roots left in what happened to them? I’m aware that due to covid I wouldn’t be able to have them removed at the hospital etc.

Thank you!
Hi! I had a tooth taken out because of overcrowding (slightly different so not sure if the procedure is the same)! My gum was injected with anaesthetic to numb the area around my tooth. They then extracted it and all I could feel was slight pressure but never any pain or anything! The only painful bit was the injection but it literally lasted 5 seconds because they injection hurt but was nearly automatically numbed by the anaesthetic!!

Honestly just take big breaths and if you panic, the dentist normally says to raise your hand and they will stop! It’s nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be!

I don’t know anything about roots or anything like that, and I know my experience is different to yours but I hope this reassured you a little?

Good luck, you’ll be fine! :smile:
I have had two extractions so I have some experience here.

As with most things at the dentist, the anaesthetic injection is more painful than the procedure itself. You'll be numbed up in such a way that it just feels like someone pressing very hard against your jaw. One of mine was so easy I had no idea they'd finished, the other, (a deep filled molar like yours), took a bit more effort but was not otherwise painful. For that one they were worried a root might remain, but even with the poor state of the tooth it all came out in one go, phew. I imagine everyone is different, but I did not find that the teeth either side shifted very much to take up the gap.

Both healed up fine. Just make sure you follow all aftercare advice to the letter.

In terms of overcoming nerves, I would just keep reminding yourself that some temporary discomfort is much preferable to being in excrutiating pain long term.

Quick Reply

Latest