why is Pulp Fiction regarded so highly?

Watch
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I just watched Pulp Fiction, and I am not sure why it is so popular.

I don't think it is an bad film by any means - the characters, acting, and dialogue is all incredible. And I don't doubt it had a huge impact on the film industry.

However, the plot was very weak in my opinion, with a seemingly pointless intertwining of stories. Also the non chronogical order added nothing to the film at all in my opinion, and so while it may have been innovative at the time, that doesn't mean it is still good.
blueskiesinpain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Because it introduced in mainstream cinema a depiction of violence that wasn’t like Rambo movies,,,
Mrepic Foulger
Rep:
?
(Original post by blueskiesinpain)
Because it introduced in mainstream cinema a depiction of violence that wasn’t like Rambo movies,,,
But that does explain why its good today?
Mrepic Foulger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mrepic Foulger)
But that does explain why its good today?
Doeesnt*
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mrepic Foulger)
I just watched Pulp Fiction, and I am not sure why it is so popular.

I don't think it is an bad film by any means - the characters, acting, and dialogue is all incredible. And I don't doubt it had a huge impact on the film industry.

However, the plot was very weak in my opinion, with a seemingly pointless intertwining of stories. Also the non chronogical order added nothing to the film at all in my opinion, and so while it may have been innovative at the time, that doesn't mean it is still good.
Because you can't remove a film from the context in which it was released. The Matrix was a watershed moment in western action cinema, but has subsequently been ripped off and iterated upon so many times that to fresh eyes it would probably appear quite cheesy. Likewise Citizen Kane was groundbreaking on release, but as a standalone film to a modern audience it's just fine.

Tarantino did a lot that was novel at the time, but if you are looking at it 26yrs later it may not seem so exceptional.

The 'Influence' section on Wikipedia has a good summary on why it is a significant film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_Fiction#Influence

If you just didn't enjoy the film that's fair play, but you've already listed many of it's appealing qualities. Or to put it another way, there's lot of films that you love now, that people in 15-20 years are going to find very mundane.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It's a rare example of an American comedy that is actually funny.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I feel this way about all Tarantino films. I just don't like his style.
Lyndsey.95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Highly overrated.
Picnicl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
1. The fact that John Travolta was in it made it a violent movie that you still felt relatively 'safe' watching. His relationship with Samuel L Jackson's is like listening to two nerds who just didn't quite try hard enough at school. Travolta's character gets killed on the toilet. It's often enjoyable in a cartoonish way.

2. Although some people understandably prefer Reservoir Dogs (iif they prefer more of a play feel), Pulp Fiction expands in to a larger world.

3. The soundtrack is excellent. In 1994, you tended to only get great soundtracks in 'chick flicks'.

4. Bruce Willis has such a lovably dumb expression all the time in it.

5. Christopher Walken's watch monologue is mesmerising.

6. Details for comic effect. In movies, you don't usually get a lengthy scene devoted purely to cleaning up brains from a car. You don't usually even get people killing people accidentally. In Pulp Fiction, the everyday grind is deliberately shown. It's not trying to be 'realistic' in terms of trying to shock but it's trying to roll with situations, make humour, and extend characterisation out of them.

7. The overlapping storylines isn't hugely sophisticated but it gets the job done in making Pulp Fiction feel self-referential, cool, and literary for Generation X.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads