The Student Room Group

Does anyone have the MacBook 2019 pro

How do you find it

Scroll to see replies

Its Amazing!!

I'm using it rn.

Some things I discovered while using it are:
The keyboard take a little adapting to do but the clicking is satisfying.
The touchbar is very useful. The laptop isn't made for gaming, as soon as you open any game, it starts heating up really quickly and the fan is LOUD.
Battery lasts well and charge speed is great (1.5 to 2 hours)

Is there anything specific you want to know about??
Reply 2
What do you use it for?
How long does the battery last?
Does it get slow or exterior dirty?
What are some cool things about it?
How do you use the touch bar?
Reply 3
I’m looking at 2020, :/ shame not much changes fml
I've the 2018 version which is in all but few aspects the same as the 2019 one. I like it fine. It's not amazing, that's for sure. I've only had it for a year and a half and I can already see the band that frames the screen becoming loose/coming off, even though most of the time I'm using it on an external monitor/keyboard. I don't care much for the keyboard, but the 2019 version had the keyboard redone, so I'm guessing this won't matter to you.
I use it for all day-to-day tasks (e-mail, video playback, etc.) as well as for video editing.
This year I'll be going to university and this will be extremely helpful.
Battery lasts 8-10 hours if you're doing regular tasks (binge watching nonstop)
One drawback is that it only has thunderbolt ports so you'll need an adapter.
Charging can be done using either of the four ports (Don't think of charging through all of them at once 😉)
In my six months of usage, I never experienced any lagging, just that it gets hot.
Cool thing?? This whole sh*t is godamn cool.
You can control the cursor using head movements!
Force click on touchpad gives you the definition of the word you're hovering over.
It has a sh*tload of emojis!! 🕴
You can easily install windows.
If you own an iPad, it can be used as a second screen (also can be done using Apple TV)
Touchbar is different for every app, on the main screen you can change brightness, volume, activate siri control video/music playback and is customizable.
If using Safari, you can even skip the youtube ads because you can just forward through them by tapping on the touchbar!
Touchbar has in-built autocorrect as well, and a dedicated emoji panel.
I have the Space Gray model and dust is clearly visible, easily wipes off using a tissue and is you touch it using dirty hands, things might stick on the aluminum but that too can be cleaned with a damp cloth. More annoying is the screen, a touch with your finger produces a smudge, that becomes difficult to clean, you might need to use a microfiber cloth for it.

Overall, this is made for productive tasks.
Also, I went ahead and got myself a cover against popular advice because I know apple products to get dents and I would rather live with a protective case (And, I know myself)
Reply 7
Did you buy any accessories.
Reply 8
Do you have any pics of the keyboard, why are so many people mentioning it
Original post by Nnahahahah

Pictures won't show you, you need to get your hands on them, to put it in words, regular keyboards 'sink in', this one 'clicks' if you get what I mean.

Apart from the cover and an adapter, nope, you don't really need one, a gaming mouse would be a better choice than the apple one, and you don't need an external trackpad, speakers are excellent as well.
What do you use it for?
How long does the battery last?
Does it get slow or exterior dirty?
What are some cool things about it?
How do you use the touch bar?

I've got the 2018 model which isn't much different. It does everything I need easily
- The battery lasts around 10+ hours when doing everyday tasks and if I'm doing 4K video editing in FCPX then around 4-5hrs but I do this mostly when connected to power anyway. Easily enough to get through a day at uni and sometimes work in the evening without charging.
- Mine runs fast even when performing intensive tasks, the only time i notice it to slow down is if I have lots of tabs (30+) open in the browser for long periods without restarting but thats rare.
- Cool things I like about it are that it allows me to do everything from basic web browsing to 4K video editing to running sound and lighting for musical theatre productions and its lightweight means you don't tire when carrying it around. Yes the 4 USB-C ports are annoying that you need dongles/adapters for them but I've managed to get around that by just replacing cables to usb-c ones as many new devices have usb-c anyway.
- As for the Touch Bar i don't use it much but when software has been optimised for it such as video or music editing software than thats where it really comes into its own as you can scrub through timelines and do other stuff much faster without remembering keyboard shortcuts.
- I love the size of the trackpad and if you have an iPad then Sidecar allows you to easily use it as a second screen whenever you need both wireless and wired.

The only accessories I purchased with mine initially was a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to use existing devices and a USB-C ethernet adapter. later since purchasing I have got a dual USB-C and Type B USB Flash drive for easy file transfers for uni and a USB-C to HDMI cable for connection to TV/at work for projectors.

Many people didn't get on with the keyboard due to the way the mechanism works as it had a lot less key travel than most laptops did but having came from an old 2013 MacBook pro with the old keyboard to a 2018 model I cant say I've had any issues with it and the large key caps and being flatter have been great for my fat fingers as I now have a lot less false key presses, there are many reviews online explaining the keyboard and the differences but the best way would be to go to a store where you can test one yourself.
Do I need the USB adapter
Do I need the USB adapter

Yes.
How do you find it

Hi there :hi:
Your thread has been put into the technology and computers forum so you get a few more helpful responses :smile:
Have a great day :h:
Cheese

Everything mentioned as above, except mine doesn’t get loud or heat up as another user mentioned.

Don’t have any issues with the keyboard. Works fine. YouTube it to see what a butterfly keyboard is.

Haven’t felt the need to buy a USB adapter even though I use this laptop in uni.

Bought a protective case off amazon so it prevents scratches when I load/unload the laptop from my bag.

Would recommend buying in August when you get 10% off and free beats headphones
(edited 3 years ago)

The keyboards used on most macbook models between 2015 and 2019, known as the butterfly keyboard after the name apple gave to the switch mechanism used on the keys, have been the largest source of criticism for Apple's laptops for a long time. Besides being poorly received for their lack of travel and tactility, as I mentioned in your other thread they have a notoriously high failure rate and cannot be user serviced, to the point that Apple have had to introduce extended warranty programs specifically for laptops with these keyboards. They even released laptops in 2019 that were already included in this program, indicating the design simply couldn't be fixed and acknowledging these laptops were shipped with a higher likelihood that they would develop a fault. They are arguably the worst hardware decision that Apple have made for at least a decade.

By the sounds of your other thread, you already own this laptop. Asking other people what they think about it is not going to help you, just enjoy what is otherwise a very nice laptop and just be vigilant for keyboard problems.
(edited 3 years ago)
i had the 15 inch one and i returned it to apple because i did not like the keys.
I don’t I bought it but it’s not here yet
its me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending