Turn on thread page Beta

Buisness and Management [UCAS Points Advice] watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently about to start my AS Levels and was wondering if ICT, Buisness Studies, English Lit and Punjabi on the side would be fine? Also I'd like to know If I have to get ABB/AAB to get onto the course, wouldn't something like CCCC be fine as this meets the 320 points requirement?

I'd also like to hear from the people that are currently doing a Business and Management degree or any Business related degree at Aston or even else where, which A Levels did you guys pick and what were the results?

Picking my AS Levels very soon so need advice fast!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I got 300 points this year and didn't get in... same with pretty much everyone else I've talked to because it's an oversubscribed course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi JAgg,

Just like me, I too am about to start my AS's and am aiming to go on the Aston Business Management course. As for points, I am new to this so I could be wrong, although I'm sure I seen on Aston's site that the 320 points have to be made up by no more than 3 A levels. So to meet 320 you would need the ABB or AAB they ask for.

However I have a friend who's on his third year of the course now and he told me yesterday about a rumour that Aston are putting up the requirements to AAB/340 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I got 300 points this year and didn't get in... same with pretty much everyone else I've talked to because it's an oversubscribed course.
    If I do CCCC which is 320 points surley I'd get in?. Oh and which A Levels did you do and what were the results like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Benji)
    Hi JAgg,

Just like me, I too am about to start my AS's and am aiming to go on the Aston Business Management course. As for points, I am new to this so I could be wrong, although I'm sure I seen on Aston's site that the 320 points have to be made up by no more than 3 A levels. So to meet 320 you would need the ABB or AAB they ask for.

However I have a friend who's on his third year of the course now and he told me yesterday about a rumour that Aston are putting up the requirements to AAB/340 points.
    Wow, that's going to be hard.. Which AS Levels will you be doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    If I do CCCC which is 320 points surley I'd get in?. Oh and which A Levels did you do and what were the results like?
    The admissions tutor at Aston told me they only take the best 3 A-levels, or best 2 A-levels and 2 AS's.

So they would only count 3 C's which is 240.

I did:

Business Studies (aka common sense) - easy A
    ICT - B (shouldve been an A but our teacher couldnt mark coursework to save his life)
    Maths - C (almost a B)

ReputationRep:
    It sure is, i'm still not 100% decided but at the moment it looks like Business, Economics, Accounting and Maths (Statistics), although after not being in school for 3 years I may find the maths hard. So may do the Foundation Maths where first year revises GCSE and second year gets an AS.

ReputationRep:
    The admissions tutor at Aston told me they only take the best 3 A-levels, or best 2 A-levels and 2 AS's.

So they would only count 3 C's which is 240.

I did:

Business Studies (aka common sense) - easy A
    ICT - B (shouldve been an A but our teacher couldnt mark coursework to save his life)
    Maths - C (almost a B)
    Looks like I'm REALLY going to have to push myself for these A Levels... I havn't acctually done Business as a GCSE, do you think I will find it difficult at AS/A2 Level?

ReputationRep:
    It sure is, i'm still not 100% decided but at the moment it looks like Business, Economics, Accounting and Maths (Statistics), although after not being in school for 3 years I may find the maths hard. So may do the Foundation Maths where first year revises GCSE and second year gets an AS.
    How were your GCSE Grades? Mine wern't the best... AABBBBBBBCC

Btw the A's were in ICT..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    Looks like I'm REALLY going to have to push myself for these A Levels... I havn't acctually done Business as a GCSE, do you think I will find it difficult at AS/A2 Level?
    Well, it's certainly one of the easier A-levels, so probably not. We had a few people in our BS class who hadn't done it at GCSE and they ended up getting decent grades in the end I think. Most of A-level BS is just a continuation of ideas explored first at GCSE so it'll come a little easier to people who have already done it but it's certainly not a hard course to pick up by any means. Most of the AS year is based around common sense and general knowledge, and the A2 year is based around being capable of forming an opinion on things (using the stuff you learnt at AS).

ReputationRep:
    I was told by a tutor at my soon to be sixth form college that the business a level starts at the very basics, such as sole trader etc. So not doing the gcse should be fine.

My GCSE's, which I did 3 years ago, were;

- B - Maths
    - C - English
    - C - Science
    - C - History
    - C - Food & Nutrition
    - D - Business
    - E - English Lit
    - Pass - ICT Intermediate

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's certainly one of the easier A-levels, so probably not. We had a few people in our BS class who hadn't done it at GCSE and they ended up getting decent grades in the end I think. Most of A-level BS is just a continuation of ideas explored first at GCSE so it'll come a little easier to people who have already done it but it's certainly not a hard course to pick up by any means. Most of the AS year is based around common sense and general knowledge, and the A2 year is based around being capable of forming an opinion on things (using the stuff you learnt at AS).
    Oh right. Will my GCSE's affect Aston's choice as they arn't exactly the best...

Maths: C
    Science: BB
    English Language: C
    English Lit: C
    ICT: AABB
    Punjabi: B
    PHSE: B
    R.E: B
    Food Tech: B
    Geography: E
    Lesuire and Tourism: D

I really screwed up on the last 2.. but there not that important.

Also are my A Level choices good enough for Aston?

ReputationRep:
    I was told by a tutor at my soon to be sixth form college that the business a level starts at the very basics, such as sole trader etc. So not doing the gcse should be fine.

My GCSE's, which I did 3 years ago, were;

- B - Maths
    - C - English
    - C - Science
    - C - History
    - C - Food & Nutrition
    - D - Business
    - E - English Lit
    - Pass - ICT Intermediate
    Quite similar to mine really.. I'm going to really work my ass off these 2 years..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    Oh right. Will my GCSE's affect Aston's choice as they arn't exactly the best...

Maths: C
    Science: BB
    English Language: C
    English Lit: C
    ICT: AABB
    Punjabi: B
    PHSE: B
    R.E: B
    Food Tech: B
    Geography: E
    Lesuire and Tourism: D

I really screwed up on the last 2.. but there not that important.
    I'm not sure how much they look at GCSE's to be honest, I don't think they're overly bothered. As long as your AS results are good (BBB or something would do) when you apply, and your predicted grades from your teachers add up to 320-340 points or higher, you'll meet the offer.

Some people get offers of 320 points for the course, and others get 340. I'm thinking that if your past results are unconvincing or something, that they might give you the 340. Don't quote me on that though, get some advice from your careers teacher, or call the uni themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE's were good, mine were bad as i've only just started to want to do well in an education.

Do Uni's take note of what you achieved at GCSE too much? I know a few courses insist on a B at Maths but surely they could be lenient on that?

I'm hoping that if we work really hard these next two years and do well at A level then what we've done at GCSE will be irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    You need 5 A*-C grades (with Maths and English being at least a C) to get into any uni as far as I know. That's all I'm aware of when GCSE requirements are concerned, they really are only looked at as serious by employers when a student goes straight into a job at 16. If you continue and get more qualifications, GCSE's become buried as trivial (which tbf they are compared to A-levels)

ReputationRep:
    I've just looked at their website;
    http://www.abs.aston.ac.uk/newweb/pr...e/entryreq.asp

If you're applying with 2 A2 & 2 AS they want 340 points, so that could be either A2-AA and AS-BB or A2-AB and AS-AA.

And it's only Accounting, Economics and Law & Management that require GCSE grades, doesn't ask for anything for the Business & Management course.

ReputationRep:
    I've just looked at their website;
    http://www.abs.aston.ac.uk/newweb/pr...e/entryreq.asp

If you're applying with 2 A2 & 2 AS they want 340 points, so that could be either A2-AA and AS-BB or A2-AB and AS-AA.

And it's only Accounting or Economics & Management that require GCSE grades, doesn't ask for anything for the Business & Management course.
    Wow I've just been on the Wolverhampton University website and they require 220 points for a Buisness Management Degree.. Why is it so low?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how Wolverhampton compares but IIRC I think Aston was top 10 Business School a couple years back?

ReputationRep:
    You need 5 A*-C grades (with Maths and English being at least a C) to get into any uni as far as I know. That's all I'm aware of when GCSE requirements are concerned, they really are only looked at as serious by employers when a student goes straight into a job at 16. If you continue and get more qualifications, GCSE's become buried as trivial (which tbf they are compared to A-levels)
    Why does Buisness Management course at Wolverhampton only require 220 points?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 18, 2016

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.