The Student Room Group

Sixth Form/A-levels advice

I'm in year 11, and I was wondering which sixth form I should go to. In school A I chose History, Economics and Media. In school B I chose History, Business and English Language. One of the pros for going to school A is that it was my secondary school and I would be familiar to the environment. Also that it is a good school and its sixth form is one of the best in my town. However, one major cons is that I'm not used to the subject "economics" and I heard that you would need maths a level to be able to be good at it and I'm not 100% sure that I would get a good grade overall. On the other hand option B would be a good choice to go to school in September as I like the subjects that I've picked there and some of the history content is similar to the content I have learnt in GCSEs. But I'm not used to the school, and as I'd potentially have to travel over two campuses and wear a strict dress code if I chose this school. Does any one have any advice on which school I should chose. Thanks :smile:
If you're comfortable with your secondary school I would suggest staying on there as you'll know what to expect with the teachers etc come September. If you don't like economics is there an alternative you could do at school A? Are you interested in economics and are put off by the entry requirements or do you not like the overall idea of it? What grade in Maths are you hoping to achieve
Original post by jennybear
If you're comfortable with your secondary school I would suggest staying on there as you'll know what to expect with the teachers etc come September. If you don't like economics is there an alternative you could do at school A? Are you interested in economics and are put off by the entry requirements or do you not like the overall idea of it? What grade in Maths are you hoping to achieve

Thank you for replying! Also the only alternate that I could do is btec finance and that would heavily involve maths as the business a level option is in the same bloc as media. I am interested in economics as I have looked into the topics that I will be learning and they seem interesting. I'm only put off by it if it's heavily linked to a level maths. I'm hoping to achieve a 6 or a 7 in GCSE maths but I'm not sure if that is good enough.
Original post by BlueButterfly<3
Thank you for replying! Also the only alternate that I could do is btec finance and that would heavily involve maths as the business a level option is in the same bloc as media. I am interested in economics as I have looked into the topics that I will be learning and they seem interesting. I'm only put off by it if it's heavily linked to a level maths. I'm hoping to achieve a 6 or a 7 in GCSE maths but I'm not sure if that is good enough.

I would say a 6/7 is perfectly fine to study economics with. I don't study it myself but I feel you would be able to cope with the demands of the course - yes there would be some links with Maths A Level, although it would just be certain parts of your course that you would have to go over maybe more than once. From my understanding of the course it uses a lot of GCSE Maths so you'd be fine! I'd advise maybe looking through the exam board specification and hopefully you'll see what I mean :smile:
Original post by jennybear
I would say a 6/7 is perfectly fine to study economics with. I don't study it myself but I feel you would be able to cope with the demands of the course - yes there would be some links with Maths A Level, although it would just be certain parts of your course that you would have to go over maybe more than once. From my understanding of the course it uses a lot of GCSE Maths so you'd be fine! I'd advise maybe looking through the exam board specification and hopefully you'll see what I mean :smile:

Thank you, this means a lot :smile:
Original post by BlueButterfly<3
Thank you, this means a lot :smile:

No worries - good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest