Natalie11111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone from year 11 tell me what product they did for their nea so I can get some ideas of what kind of products I can base mine around
Freddy Redpath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm at A-level but study and studied product design, what are the stimulus/criteria? for example ours was
helping third world countries or helping elderly and one other option.
Anyway, i designed a small raft which uses solar and tidal forces in the river to charge a battery and create electricity for an area that didn't have it.
Natalie11111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freddy Redpath)
I'm at A-level but study and studied product design, what are the stimulus/criteria? for example ours was
helping third world countries or helping elderly and one other option.
Anyway, i designed a small raft which uses solar and tidal forces in the river to charge a battery and create electricity for an area that didn't have it.
Ours is teenage lifestyle, nature and the environment and multifunctional living.
Also I was wondering do we have to physically make the product we design
Freddy Redpath
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Natalie11111)
Ours is teenage lifestyle, nature and the environment and multifunctional living.
Also I was wondering do we have to physically make the product we design
Every one from my school made the product/ a prototype. The specification recommends a prototype with clear signs of iteration (trial and error) and i'm fairly sure you are going to get much better marks if you do. I'm not too sure if its necessary, i assume it is, maybe ask your teacher.

From your options I personally would definitely look toward multi functional living, for the following reasons:
-plenty of room for iteration and improvement on designs
- huge variety of products to choose from
- could allow you to incorporate a designers work (examiners tend to like this, just don't copy their work)
-Say you made a piece of furniture, the making process is fairly simple,
-and a few others.

are you particularly driven to one of the three options?
Natalie11111
Rep:
?
Every one from my school made the product/ a prototype. The specification recommends a prototype with clear signs of iteration (trial and error) and i'm fairly sure you are going to get much better marks if you do. I'm not too sure if its necessary, i assume it is, maybe ask your teacher.

From your options I personally would definitely look toward multi functional living, for the following reasons:
-plenty of room for iteration and improvement on designs
- huge variety of products to choose from
- could allow you to incorporate a designers work (examiners tend to like this, just don't copy their work)
-Say you made a piece of furniture, the making process is fairly simple,
-and a few others.

are you particularly driven to one of the three options?
I started thinking of ideas for nature and the environment because I could easily think of problems and I was scared about the multifunctional living because I didn’t want to make something that has already been done because that’s copying
Freddy Redpath
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I started thinking of ideas for nature and the environment because I could easily think of problems and I was scared about the multifunctional living because I didn’t want to make something that has already been done because that’s copying
That's understandable. So the task is to design a product to help the environment? I can try to think of ideas for a day or two if you think it would help. Any other way I can help? Let me know.
Natalie11111
Rep:
?
That's understandable. So the task is to design a product to help the environment? I can try to think of ideas for a day or two if you think it would help. Any other way I can help? Let me know.
It would be so much help thank you
sam3439
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's a lot of hard work, get ready for it.
Be creative and unique. Dont end up making a box or storage unit like 85% of my year did. PLease don't do that
Read the context provided by your exam board hundreds of times. Notice every single word. Its the only thing the exam board will ever give you for the project so don't treat it lightly.
Oh, and get ready to see your classmates suffer! A lot, especially those who cant be bothered from the start.
The context for me was providing a safe and comfortable home. I made a comfortable chair which my use could not swing on.
Oh, and make sure your client or user is A REAL PERSON. Just ask one of your friends who does not do DT for their photo and about the NEA. I wouldn't recommend actually asking them about anything or whatever. JUst make everything up in your portfolio!
Theres an example on youtube where the person makes a tall black lamp. Aim to do three times as much as you see for a goo grade.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've been given lots of great advice here already but i will try and add some stuff for you
The main thing here is you need to choose the topic that is best suited for you.
You need to narrow this down, which of those categories most interests you?
Once you have chosen one you need to think of potential clients in that market, take teenage lifestyle for example - the market will be teenagers. You need to interview a client and ask them what the problems are that they have which relates to your chosen area. For teenage lifestyle this could be broken down into the home, at school, social etc.
Under each category write a list of problems in that area e.g it being hard to concentrate on school work at home or something like that. Make sure you ask people so you are getting real problems and not just making them up
Having a real problem to solve is important because you can test your project later on and see if it solves it, if it doesnt your client can give you feedback on how to alter it and you will gain marks for this.

You do need to eventually make the product, usually this starts about a month in after the initial planning and ideation. Don't worry so much right now about what you can make in a school environment as it will restrict your creative flow. Once you have a better idea of what you want to make you can start planning and adjusting it to the materials and tools you have available to you. Constantly altering your idea as you go along to reflect things like this as well as the feedback you get from your client will get you more marks examiners like to see you adapt your design.
Natalie11111
Rep:
?
(Original post by sam3439)
it's a lot of hard work, get ready for it.
Be creative and unique. Dont end up making a box or storage unit like 85% of my year did. PLease don't do that
Read the context provided by your exam board hundreds of times. Notice every single word. Its the only thing the exam board will ever give you for the project so don't treat it lightly.
Oh, and get ready to see your classmates suffer! A lot, especially those who cant be bothered from the start.
The context for me was providing a safe and comfortable home. I made a comfortable chair which my use could not swing on.
Oh, and make sure your client or user is A REAL PERSON. Just ask one of your friends who does not do DT for their photo and about the NEA. I wouldn't recommend actually asking them about anything or whatever. JUst make everything up in your portfolio!
Theres an example on youtube where the person makes a tall black lamp. Aim to do three times as much as you see for a goo grade.
Thank you so much u have been so much help
Natalie11111
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
You've been given lots of great advice here already but i will try and add some stuff for you
The main thing here is you need to choose the topic that is best suited for you.
You need to narrow this down, which of those categories most interests you?
Once you have chosen one you need to think of potential clients in that market, take teenage lifestyle for example - the market will be teenagers. You need to interview a client and ask them what the problems are that they have which relates to your chosen area. For teenage lifestyle this could be broken down into the home, at school, social etc.
Under each category write a list of problems in that area e.g it being hard to concentrate on school work at home or something like that. Make sure you ask people so you are getting real problems and not just making them up
Having a real problem to solve is important because you can test your project later on and see if it solves it, if it doesnt your client can give you feedback on how to alter it and you will gain marks for this.

You do need to eventually make the product, usually this starts about a month in after the initial planning and ideation. Don't worry so much right now about what you can make in a school environment as it will restrict your creative flow. Once you have a better idea of what you want to make you can start planning and adjusting it to the materials and tools you have available to you. Constantly altering your idea as you go along to reflect things like this as well as the feedback you get from your client will get you more marks examiners like to see you adapt your design.
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated
You're so welcome feel free to come back if you get stuck on anything
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did some veg portion containers for kids in the shape of veg to encourage healthy living. If you are stuck for ideas start with the teenager specification, as you can relate to that and think what would make your life easier and simpler then go from there...
Natalie11111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca216)
I did some veg portion containers for kids in the shape of veg to encourage healthy living. If you are stuck for ideas start with the teenager specification, as you can relate to that and think what would make your life easier and simpler then go from there...
Thank you
16jdidelis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, im thinking to choose one of these (1. Multifunctional living

2. Teenage lifestyle) but i dont know which one. could someone recommend?
Last edited by 16jdidelis; 1 year ago
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 16jdidelis)
Hey, im thinking to choose one of these (1. Multifunctional living

2. Teenage lifestyle) but i dont know which one. could someone recommend?
Depends which you have the wider client base for really throughout your project you will need to talk to your client to get feedback on your designs and models so you need to pick a topic where you can access a client for it easily.
As you will be in school with teenagers and multifunctional living can be any age group you are in a pretty good place to just choose whichever one you prefer Have a brainstorm of potential ideas and see which one takes your fancy
rxhul.l
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I chose the nature an environment topic and I have decided to make some sort of water filtration device for countries with water scarcity has anyone got any design ideas or twists that I could use to make my designs stand out
rxhul.l
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi can anyone help me with my nea and possibly provide me with some previous examples of neas because my formatting isn't great
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads