Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You come across as one of the more mature members of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    not before, but now that you mentioned it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Do not feel as if you ought to behave in a certain way; just be yourself. Crikey, the world would be such a boring place if everyone sat around and talked about EU agriculture and existentialism all day long. :rolleyes:
    There are so many people out there who think that they have to tick boxes: "I've got to know about the EU, I've got to know about Karl Marx, I've got to know about black holes, I've got to know about Shakespeare, I've got to be articulate, I've got to dress like this, etc etc etc." Frankly, it's unhealthy to think like that. Just find the things that YOU are genuinely interested in and concentrate on them. And if you still want to go out at the weekend with your bacardi, go for it!

Honestly, when you do feel like an adult you will probably want to feel like a teenager again! Enjoy it while it lasts!
    I'm not really trying to tick boxes that other people think are appropriate . . . I'm trying to reach my own ideal. I want to be able to talk articulately about philosophy, literature and politics, but I find that in most situations I can't. Sometimes it is a lack of knowledge, but a lot of the time it is because I simply fail to express my thoughts intelligently. I can write pretty fantastic essays on, well, almost anything, but in conversation I just mumble, shuffle my feet and feel childish.

These are things that I am genuinely interested in. I can't seem to:

a) find the balance between cute'n'quirky and cool'n'composed
    b) relax enough around adults and peers to actually express myself intelligently
    c) find the confidence to think "I am an adult, I am entitled to adult authority, presence and responsibility".

I just wish I *could* act adultly, so that I could go back to acting like a child with a clear conscience.

Actually, I can act adultly, but only under certain circumstances. If I am left with total responsibility for something, and I know there is no-one else I can rely on, then I am brilliant. I make decisions, give orders, organise, plan, execute . . . but as soon as I am back at home, or around people who might be more capable/intelligent/authoritative than me, I clam up. Living at home is a total head ****.

ReputationRep:
    OP: People grow up in their own time. They cultivate their interests in their own time. Your friends may seem all grown up... but people are often not what they seem on the exterior, either.

I take no interest in the world around me. I know very little on current affairs, and I'm so totally lost in debates about politics that I would much rather just sit on the corner and tootle a bit on my guitar than take part. And yet I don't feel any less mature or grown up than my friends... because doing those things is not the end all and be all . It does not define who I am - only I can do that .

Someday I may be interested in those things. Until then, I know what I have to do and where I have to go. So, I'll stick it it . Maybe you should too.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are coming from, but I can't help but think some aspects of this are quite a superficial way of looking at maturity.

ReputationRep:
    As a certain Beatle said....atleast I THINK it was John Lennon:

"Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans."

The telegraph reading, wine drinking and roasts will become appealing when you least expect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    I understand where you are coming from, but I can't help but think some aspects of this are quite a superficial way of looking at maturity.
    Was that to me? :confused:

It's why they invented the quote function :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Was that to me? :confused:

It's why they invented the quote function :p:.
    Oh sorry, it was directed to the OP's post. :o:
    Although having just read your post I do agree with your points by the way. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    Oh sorry, it was directed to the OP's post. :o:
    Although having just read your post I do agree with your points by the way. :yep:
    Haha, no problem .

And thank you . It's always nice when a second opinion agrees with your own :five:.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.