The Student Room Group

I Got A B In Maths Will I Die If I Take It At As ?

I got a B in maths, 5 Marks of an A.

I was planning on taking As :

History
English Lang&lit.
Chemistry
Maths&Stats

But now I'm unsure about taking Maths and Stats, Should I take Economics Instead? Or Pyschology? I honestly don't have a clue now.

I want to go into History and English In the future, so I'm set for that, I'm taking Chem simply for the fact I really like it, and I thought maths looked good and I think its good aswell...

What do you think? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Well I think die is a tad exessive lol.

No I think you will be fine as long as you revise a lot and concentrate. :smile:

My boyfriend only got a B and he is doing As and A2 Maths.

x
Reply 2
You may get run over by a bus, if you're doing stats you'll be able to work out the possibility of this happening.
Reply 3
go for it nothing to loose drop it if u fix it too difficult.
AS Maths is relatively easy
A2 Maths on the other hand is lethal
Reply 5
Yeah, do maths. GCSE does not indicate how well you do at Alevel.
Reply 6
Nope you should be fine. Getting a B wont stop you getting an A as long as you get your head down
Reply 7
I got a B in GCSE Maths. I ended up getting A in A level Maths and Further Maths. You just have to believe in yourself and work hard :smile:
You certainly won't die - whether you choose to do maths or not :p:

I would say go for it - i know plenty of people who got Bs in maths at gcse and went on to get As at AS
One thing to note though is that AS maths definitely requires more work than gcse maths, and as long as you're willing to put the required effort in - you should be fine :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
Reply 9
IanDangerously
Heh, I'd love to see your reaction to some of the further modules. FP2 and M4 come to mind more than anything else.
Reply 10
Charlybob
Heh, I'd love to see your reaction to some of the further modules. FP2 and M4 come to mind more than anything else.

Yes, never underestimate the power of FP2!
IanDangerously

Would you say that it's weird that I got 80 and 84 in C1 and C2 and then 91 and 85 in C3 and C4? :woo:
Reply 12
Nah you will survive, you might pass out though.
Reply 13
Sports Racer
Would you say that it's weird that I got 80 and 84 in C1 and C2 and then 91 and 85 in C3 and C4? :woo:

No, thats just down to experience. My guess is you made fewer silly errors in C3 and C4.
I got a C at intermediate level, but did fine for A-level :smile: It's ultimately down to how much work you put in for yourself.
Reply 15
Thankyoou!!

That made me feel ALOT better about me dying/not dying/ being a tad overdramatic. =D
nuttygirl
You may get run over by a bus, if you're doing stats you'll be able to work out the possibility of this happening.

Let's do the math here.

Bus weighs 12 tonnes = 12192.56 kg (2dp)
Speed limit = 30 mph = 15.64 m/s

Impulse at point of impact with OP = m(v-u) = 12192.56 x (0 - 15.64) = 190691 Ns

Such a redistribution of linear momentum would be easily large enough to result in death :yep:

:rofl:

Edit:

MonaR
Thankyoou!!

That made me feel ALOT better about me dying/not dying/ being a tad overdramatic. =D

Oops. :frown:
IanDangerously
Let's do the math here.

Bus weighs 12 tonnes = 12192.56 kg (2dp)
Speed limit = 30 mph = 15.64 m/s

Impulse at point of impact with OP = 12192.56 x (0 - 15.64) = 190691 Ns

Such a redistribution of linear momentum would be easily large enough to result in death :yep:

:rofl:

<insert clap smilie here>

:dancing:
You will be fine!!! It's easy to improve at a subject!

Talent at a particular subject (like maths) is 5% innate, 95% practice and hard work. Just because you aren't an A* standard at it now doesn't mean you will always be working at a B grade standard for the rest of your life! You will improve loads!!!

For example: I got a B in my English GCSE; but by the end of year 13, five separate teachers (including one who hates my guts, so it was quite a compliment!) said I had an abnormally strong command of english in my formal essays. I just read a lot and you will be surprised how much progress you make in 2 years.

Trust me, you can do it :smile: Your brain now will seem piddly and insignificant in comparison to how engorged and bloated with info it is at A level. You will improve!
Reply 19
Sports Racer

Congrats on that! :smile: my friend got 87 for C4 and I remember quite well that after the exam, she was shaking so much because it was the hardest exam she'd ever sat! :p: And she nearly got full marks for AS lol.

Latest