Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    Would you say that it's weird that I got 80 and 84 in C1 and C2 and then 91 and 85 in C3 and C4? :woo:
    Yes, and well done! ... did you work much harder in the 2nd year or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Let's do the math here.

Bus weighs 12 tonnes = 12192.56 kg (2dp)
    Speed limit = 30 mph = 15.64 m/s

Impulse at point of impact with OP = m(v-u) = 12192.56 x (0 - 15.64) = 190691 Ns

Such a redistribution of linear momentum would be easily large enough to result in death :yep:

:rofl:
    Why do you think the OP will bring the bus to rest during impact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruceleej)
    Why do you think the OP will bring the bus to rest during impact?
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hadn't considered that. Ok, lets assume that the OP has a mass significantly larger than the bus and is also in constant motion

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hadn't considered that. Ok, lets assume that the OP has a mass significantly larger than the bus and is also in constant motion
    And also that she is perfectly spherical {as well as the bus ofcourse}

ReputationRep:
    Ahem. I would just like to point out, I don't plan to step in front of buses and so I doubt I'll be getting run over by one anytime soon =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonaR)
    Ahem. I would just like to point out, I don't plan to step in front of buses and so I doubt I'll be getting run over by one anytime soon =]
    Most people who get run over by buses don't plan to be. You could be the victim of a tragic accident :no:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she is? :eek:

Anywho, the point was to model them both mathematically to show that being hit by a bus will create a large change of momentum. I never said the maths had to be correct. QED.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    Most people who get run over by buses don't plan to be. You could be the victim of a tragic accident :no:
    A very optimistic thought there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonaR)
    A very optimistic thought there
    :yes:
    Hopefully that won't happen to you
    :groovy:

Yes, and well done! ... did you work much harder in the 2nd year or something?
    Thank you and yes I did work harder. But that can't be it though because I retook C1 in that year (and worked just as hard for it) and came out with 79

I guess bruceleej is right, experience peaks at the very end and you stop making silly mistakes.

Maths is awesome. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfghjkl123456789)
    unless your maths classroom is particularly dangerous, or maths stresses you out a lot.
    Dividing by zero may cause irreperable brain damage ... maths is not the safest subject, you know!

ReputationRep:

Arse pie! Why did I waste my daily positive rep before I read this!!!! hehe!

ReputationRep:
    It's surprising how much you can improve in a year or two. If you work hard enough, by the end of Year 13 an A could easily be on the cards.

ReputationRep:
    Dividing by zero may cause irreperable brain damage ... maths is not the safest subject, you know!
    My maths teacher told me that if you tried dividing by zero on a calculator then the whole world would explode because it couldn't handle it.

He was wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    Thank you and yes I did work harder. But that can't be it though because I retook C1 in that year (and worked just as hard for it) and came out with 79

I guess bruceleej is right, experience peaks at the very end and you stop making silly mistakes.

Maths is awesome. :cool:
    I'd blame grade boundaries. Looking at the 2006 June papers, the raw mark needed for an A varies from 71% to 85% - that's quite substantial.

ReputationRep:
    not if you try hard

ReputationRep:
    No, you'll just have to work slightly harder. To assure you, there's hardly a correlation between your GCSE grades and what you get at A/AS-level.

ReputationRep:
    death is unlikely to be a result of taking as maths, regardless of what grade you got at gcse...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ramadulla)
    No, you'll just have to work slightly harder. To assure you, there's hardly a correlation between your GCSE grades and what you get at A/AS-level.
    Actually, Ramadulla, the product moment correlation coefficient between GCSE Mathematics UMS and AS Mathematics UMS is 0.86 (that's a strong positive correlation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Actually, Ramadulla, the product moment correlation coefficient between GCSE Mathematics UMS and AS Mathematics UMS is 0.86 (that's a strong positive correlation).
    Oh why did you have to say that :cry:

Now the OP will have schizophrenia.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.