The Student Room Group

Why does my mind keep on doing this?

Why do I experience like these weird superstitious paranoid bouts when just living my regular life? I know quite a lot of people have this thing where if say they're organizing something and it's not symmetrical they start to feel anxious, or if they don't count in threes then they feel like something terrible is about to happen. I'm quite religious and I often feel really nervous and anxious when, for example, I place an object down and it doesn't face 45 degrees right, or if I take a pullup bar down when I go to sleep I'll be fine, and if I don't do those things I start to convince myself that something terrible is going to happen, if I use a certain textbook at a certain time I won't do well in that subject at GCSE. Like, stupid tiny things like that constantly bug me the whole day. And they're so random and stupid constantly, and for some reason, it feels like my conscience or gut is telling me to do those things, and they seem so irrational but I have this fear that if I don't do these little superstitions my life will go bad, bad things will happen if I don't do them. And I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between my morality and faith and these stupid irrational gut feelings. It's like my mind keeps on making these weird stupid problems out of weird tiny things and once it latches onto a problem I start obsessing over it and have trouble assuring myself that I'm being stupid. I've tried ignoring it but it just keeps on coming back to nag me again and again. These weird stupid problems and superstitions of bad luck and misfortune out of these tiny things like sleeping on my left side instead of the right, or looking in the mirror twice before going to bed. And after I do those things, I never feel satisfied, my brain keeps on telling me to look four times instead of two, and stupid stuff like that. These matters are really trivial and stupid but they really frustrate me and often make me feel anxious and stressed bad things will happen. I'm just venting here because I just want to know why my brain keeps on doing this and I know most people often have this. How do I get past it?
Original post by Anonymous
Why do I experience like these weird superstitious paranoid bouts when just living my regular life? I know quite a lot of people have this thing where if say they're organizing something and it's not symmetrical they start to feel anxious, or if they don't count in threes then they feel like something terrible is about to happen. I'm quite religious and I often feel really nervous and anxious when, for example, I place an object down and it doesn't face 45 degrees right, or if I take a pullup bar down when I go to sleep I'll be fine, and if I don't do those things I start to convince myself that something terrible is going to happen, if I use a certain textbook at a certain time I won't do well in that subject at GCSE. Like, stupid tiny things like that constantly bug me the whole day. And they're so random and stupid constantly, and for some reason, it feels like my conscience or gut is telling me to do those things, and they seem so irrational but I have this fear that if I don't do these little superstitions my life will go bad, bad things will happen if I don't do them. And I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between my morality and faith and these stupid irrational gut feelings. It's like my mind keeps on making these weird stupid problems out of weird tiny things and once it latches onto a problem I start obsessing over it and have trouble assuring myself that I'm being stupid. I've tried ignoring it but it just keeps on coming back to nag me again and again. These weird stupid problems and superstitions of bad luck and misfortune out of these tiny things like sleeping on my left side instead of the right, or looking in the mirror twice before going to bed. And after I do those things, I never feel satisfied, my brain keeps on telling me to look four times instead of two, and stupid stuff like that. These matters are really trivial and stupid but they really frustrate me and often make me feel anxious and stressed bad things will happen. I'm just venting here because I just want to know why my brain keeps on doing this and I know most people often have this. How do I get past it?

I really think you should speak to your GP about this.
sounds a bit like my OCD tbh. speak to a doctor
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

It sounds like you're really struggling with this at the moment, and really want to get some support finding a way through it. I'm not medically trained, but I think that if having to do things a certain way, and avoid using certain textbooks, etc. is making you feel anxious and stressed that bad things will happen, then it might be worth speaking to your GP.

There are also services out there that might be able to help give you some advice and information on how to cope with your thoughts and the things you feel you have to do. OCD UK have an advice line that's open Mon-Fri 10am-4.45pm

Sometimes when thoughts become overwhelming it can lead to thoughts of suicide, if this is something you feel you need help with, you can reach out to HOPELINEUK: call us on 0800 068 4141, text us on 07860 039 962, or email us at [email protected]

Best Wishes,
Pip :^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest