Best choice for Psychology in University: Higher Maths or Higher Biology

Watch
RosieEmma
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello all! I am choosing my Scottish Highers courses for the 2020-2021 school year right now and need some advice. I really want to go into Psychology at University and train as a therapist or a counsellor, etc. I am, however, stuck as to whether I should take Higher Maths or Bio. I know both would be good for Psychology. The thing is, I don't like maths much as I find it a bit more challenging than other classes, but I can pass easily with hard work. Also, I only have basic knowledge of Biology and would need to work hard to catch up over the summer, but I think I would enjoy the course more than Maths. Can I have some advice, please?!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As you say, both are quite equal in terms of helping with a psych degree. I would personally choose the one that a) you will enjoy more and b) get the highest grade in
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RosieEmma)
Hello all! I am choosing my Scottish Highers courses for the 2020-2021 school year right now and need some advice. I really want to go into Psychology at University and train as a therapist or a counsellor, etc. I am, however, stuck as to whether I should take Higher Maths or Bio. I know both would be good for Psychology. The thing is, I don't like maths much as I find it a bit more challenging than other classes, but I can pass easily with hard work. Also, I only have basic knowledge of Biology and would need to work hard to catch up over the summer, but I think I would enjoy the course more than Maths. Can I have some advice, please?!
I 100% agree with what the above poster has said. I'd also check entry requirements for universities. For example, The University of Edinburgh requires that you do either Higher Biology or Higher Human Biology to get in for a Psychology degree.

Ergo, you can probably ignore Higher Maths if you're wanting to do a Psychology degree. Doing it won't look better or give you an advantage in your apply; all you need are the grades and any required subjects like Higher Bio/Human Bio (should there be any). You also need to make sure that you'll enjoy the subject so that it further motivates you to get the best post grade that you can get. :rambo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
9.02%
Confident (32)
12.03%
Indifferent (46)
17.29%
Unsure (69)
25.94%
Worried (95)
35.71%

Watched Threads

Latest