Why do people lie about having Mental Illnesses?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I know people who say "I have depression blah blah" when they obviously don't.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Attention seekers
Honestly offensive that people do this and creates trust issues
oscar.jpdb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah actually what the **** is that all about
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know people who say "I have depression blah blah" when they obviously don't.
a) Grow up
b) Stop replying to your own thread.
c) Grow up
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
One of my friends does this. She has a new mental illness every week, constantly sends me paragraphs about her 'self-harm', anxiety, schizophrenia, when she doesn't know what half of these entail. It is quite clearly for attention but I try my best to help because I would feel terrible if it turned out it was true (99.9% sure it's not, though).
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its unfair to imply that mental illnesses are always obvious. You ( generally ) cannot 'tell' if someone has depression, anxiety, etc.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do you know they obviously don't?

I used to be very open about my mental health and I didn't appear as the typical 'depressed person' yet I was still diagnosed with depression...
JWatch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do you know they don't? People with depression don't always look depressed.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some people do but it is usually people who are immature or want attention in some way. That is just human nature unfortunately and people do it with physical illnesses too (i once knew someone who lied about having brain cancer). The thing with mental illnesses is that you cannot see them which means they are easier to pretend to have.
However, and this is the important bit, the vast majority of people who say they have a MI do have one. You cannot simply assume because they dont outwardly show symptoms that they dont have it. Only their doctor/psychiatrist/professional can make that decision.
Lots of people have high functioning mental illnesses, meaning on the outside they could look presentable, have a good job, have themselves ostensibly 'together', but in private it could be a different story.
I have diagnosed borderline personality disorder, a lot of people think that must mean i stagger around with a vodka bottle in my hand shooting up heroin, indeed i had a university mentor who said i didnt 'look' like i have BPD - whatever that is supposed to mean.
You can't tell just from looking at someone how much they are internally suffering, i prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt for this reason. Most people are telling the truth and if they take the time to tell you this likely they have had to pluck up a lot of courage to do so.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
You can’t tell just by looking at them!!!!

But if someone does like about having a mental illness it’s ****ed up.

They want attention and think having an illness is the way which is so wrong.

This makes it so hard to trust people tho
Theloniouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Munchausen syndrome?

Alternatively, they might actually have the disorder and you're wrong.
Laurence010401
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Its unfair to imply that mental illnesses are always obvious. You ( generally ) cannot 'tell' if someone has depression, anxiety, etc.
Prsom
JWatch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Some people do but it is usually people who are immature or want attention in some way. That is just human nature unfortunately and people do it with physical illnesses too (i once knew someone who lied about having brain cancer). The thing with mental illnesses is that you cannot see them which means they are easier to pretend to have.
However, and this is the important bit, the vast majority of people who say they have a MI do have one. You cannot simply assume because they dont outwardly show symptoms that they dont have it. Only their doctor/psychiatrist/professional can make that decision.
Lots of people have high functioning mental illnesses, meaning on the outside they could look presentable, have a good job, have themselves ostensibly 'together', but in private it could be a different story.
I have diagnosed borderline personality disorder, a lot of people think that must mean i stagger around with a vodka bottle in my hand shooting up heroin, indeed i had a university mentor who said i didnt 'look' like i have BPD - whatever that is supposed to mean.
You can't tell just from looking at someone how much they are internally suffering, i prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt for this reason. Most people are telling the truth and if they take the time to tell you this likely they have had to pluck up a lot of courage to do so.
One of my friends went completely off the rails a couple of years ago. It started with some anxiety and eventually led to him self medicating on alcohol which spiralled out of control. Lost his job, most of his friends, but he's finally starting to get things back on track which is good. The thing is none of us really noticed it. And not because we weren't paying attention, he was just very good at putting up a facade of normality and holding it together. At most, he seemed a bit shy and withdrawn at times. You really can't tell just by looking at people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads