JE95_1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I passed my driving test in 2017, and although I passed I felt I really scraped through my test and never really felt confident driving.

I decided rather than feel unsafe driving manual, I’d get an automatic car. Which everyone knows is so much easier, you’re essentially driving a giant go-kart.

However I’m about to start a new job and although it’s not required, it’s very advantageous to be able to drive. I really don’t want to be that person to turn around and say “yeah I can drive! But only automatic, but I did pass in a manual!.. just not very well.” It’s just an awkward conversation I’d rather not have. I just want to be in the position where I can feel confident driving manual again but don’t know how to go about this now.

Do I bite the bullet and just buy myself a manual car and simply just get behind the wheel? Or is that a stupid idea..
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JE95_1)
So I passed my driving test in 2017, and although I passed I felt I really scraped through my test and never really felt confident driving.

I decided rather than feel unsafe driving manual, I’d get an automatic car. Which everyone knows is so much easier, you’re essentially driving a giant go-kart.

However I’m about to start a new job and although it’s not required, it’s very advantageous to be able to drive. I really don’t want to be that person to turn around and say “yeah I can drive! But only automatic, but I did pass in a manual!.. just not very well.” It’s just an awkward conversation I’d rather not have. I just want to be in the position where I can feel confident driving manual again but don’t know how to go about this now.

Do I bite the bullet and just buy myself a manual car and simply just get behind the wheel? Or is that a stupid idea..
I could have written your first sentence! That's exactly how I feel about driving. I think it'll just take practice. Have someone experienced in the car with you who you can ask questions to and they can give you tips etc and just drive around your local area. Go into empty car parks and practice stopping, starting etc to get more practice. Literally drive in circles up/down the car parks changing gears etc. You'll get there.
Strange5050
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It comes with experience on the road. Passing the test is only half the equation. Now you really learn to drive. I passed my test back in December, and recently only now got my first car. It's a manual, at first you will be rusty...very. I'm guessing you haven't driven since 2017? I was too.

The issue with automatics (and I can't assume your financial position here, or age) is that if you're starting out they're going to be a little more expensive. A manual really isn't that difficult. The more you drive them, the easier they are. But you really do need to practice.
JE95_1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Strange5050)
It comes with experience on the road. Passing the test is only half the equation. Now you really learn to drive. I passed my test back in December, and recently only now got my first car. It's a manual, at first you will be rusty...very. I'm guessing you haven't driven since 2017? I was too.

The issue with automatics (and I can't assume your financial position here, or age) is that if you're starting out they're going to be a little more expensive. A manual really isn't that difficult. The more you drive them, the easier they are. But you really do need to practice.
That there in lies the problem you see.

I need practice, and don’t want to cause damage doing so! Haha
Strange5050
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JE95_1)
That there in lies the problem you see.

I need practice, and don’t want to cause damage doing so! Haha
Well, there's only one way to do so
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Could you not have to drive in the job- advantageous does not mean must?
SonicsLeftNut
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would advise sticking with manual because road perception and learning after your test are both the same in manual and automatic. I was always told the real learning starts after passing your test, where you get the real life situations. Maybe if you're low in confidence just have a few spins with a driving instructor? My old instructor said that she always had to give a few lessons after people had passed their test to help their confidence and because the clutch in their car was different to the car they learnt in lol. Try taking a few spins around an industrial estate where no one is around. I would really advise against an automatic if you can drive manual. I can only drive auto due to health issues and find that a certain car can be say £4k for auto but only £2k for manual
sammyj97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Take the plunge and buy yourself a manual. There is NO way you’ll learn otherwise. Books/videos/tips from people will only go so far.

When I passed (a few months ago) I absolutely hated driving. I’d make any excuse to not take the car out and my mouth would go dry from the nerves.

You WILL overcome it with practise, as I did. Driving instructors teach you how to pass the test. The real skill and learning comes after.

Goodluck
Last edited by sammyj97; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.4%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (255)
30.36%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise