All Lives Matter vs Black Lives Matter

Watch
Il971
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Right im very confused.

Im British Asian and Muslim (just if you were wondering)

Ive seen a lot of people get pissed off with the term 'All Lives Matter'. Now i fully support 'Black Lives Matter'. But i dont understand why people are getting annoyed about All Lives Matter.

Isnt everyone equal to a sense where we should all have equality and no discrimination.

Im really happy that the Black Lives Matter movement is happening. The discrimination towards blacks has been going on for far too long and needs to be stopped. And i hope this movement puts a massive stop to racism.

The Black Lives Matter movement isnt discriminating towards whites or any other ethnic group. Its just raising awareness and putting a stop to the discrimination towards blacks that take place. The blacks are fighting for their rights and deservedly so.

But why are people getting annoyed with the term All Lives Matter. It means equality and shows everyone as equal. Isnt that what BLM is fighting for?

I believe every human in this world should have a equal right. And hopefully BLM will bring equal opportiunities as the blacks havent had that in that past. Everyone should be equal and everyone should be the same in terms of opportunities and rights . We shouldnt see colour but racism has divided us. I just want equal opportunities as humans.

The BLM should continue and fight for that equality.

And hopefully one day we can say All Lives Matter because everyone is seen as the same and everyone will have equal opportunuities and rights.

But whats with the hate on the term All Lives Matter?
tri_jet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So I totally see your point here, I mean I too pretty much think what you're saying.
But basically it seems that when protestors or just people trying generally raise awareness about Black Lives Matter, a lot people might think that the Black Lives Matter movement is undermining others' lives or implying that all lives are not equally cared for.
However the wonderful post I saw which really explained this well for me is:

So when people say it, it tends to come from a place of misunderstanding as shown above. However most people do understand that there isn't really anything wrong with the statement All Lives Matter just what you mean by that.

But yes ... (risky move here)... All Lives Matter!
frenchie_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think it's because BLM puts emphasis on black lives specifically, Of course all lives do matter, and I'm sure no BLM supporter would disagree, but at this very moment, we need to be focusing on the black community and the issues they are facing.
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It was made with extremist intent rather than how I think you’re seeing it
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
All lives matter is not exclusive of black lives matter. It’s just pointing out that not all black people are victims and not all people who aren’t black are privileged. The broken leg argument is redundant because black people are not the only ones who are oppressed- even so it is not the entire race. And saying that, not all white people or non black people are privileged. Are you saying a white homeless man has privilege over a POC CEO? Not only financially, but the POC is more likely to have respect and less likely to be convicted/ get into violence because of their position.
BLM is such a flawed movement imo. And if you don’t agree with it it’s seen as hate speech or you are seem as discriminative. I am still anti racist of course because I’m a decent human being, but it’s as if we have to 100% agree with everything the movement is doing even if it is counterproductive or just down right stupid.
tri_jet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Claydo66)
All lives matter is not exclusive of black lives matter. It’s just pointing out that not all black people are victims and not all people who aren’t black are privileged. The broken leg argument is redundant because black people are not the only ones who are oppressed- even so it is not the entire race. And saying that, not all white people or non black people are privileged. Are you saying a white homeless man has privilege over a POC CEO? Not only financially, but the POC is more likely to have respect and less likely to be convicted/ get into violence because of their position.
BLM is such a flawed movement imo. And if you don’t agree with it it’s seen as hate speech or you are seem as discriminative. I am still anti racist of course because I’m a decent human being, but it’s as if we have to 100% agree with everything the movement is doing even if it is counterproductive or just down right stupid.
This pretty much covers it! Good point.
username5200950
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
‘All lives matter’ is a complete misunderstanding of the black lives matter movement. The person on the receiving end interprets the phrase as “black lives matter more than any other lives.” But the point of Black Lives Matter isn't to suggest that black lives should be or are more important than all other lives. Instead, it’s simply pointing out that black people's lives are relatively undervalued and more likely to be ended by police. The world needs to recognise this in order for inequality to end.

In regard to the homeless white person and black CEO scenario. A white homeless person’s life will never be made harder because of their skin colour because have white privilege. However, this doesn’t mean that their life isn’t made harder bc of their socio-economic class. On the other hand, the Black CEO’s life would’ve have been made harder because of their skin colour since they don’t possess white privilege. However, the Black CEO would experience privilege from their social-economic class. Learn the difference between these two kinds of privileges.

The BLM movement is centred around race and highlights the fact that black people don’t have white privilege and their lives are made harder as a result of their skin colour, therefore the point you mention about the homeless person is simply invalid.

(Original post by Claydo66)
All lives matter’ is a complete misunderstanding of the black lives matter movement. The person on the receiving end interprets the phrase as “black lives matter more than any other lives.” But the point of Black Lives Matter isn't to suggest that black lives should be or are more important than all other lives. Instead, it’s simply pointing out that black people's lives are relatively undervalued and more likely to be ended by police. The world needs to recognise this in order for inequality to end.

In regard to the homeless white person and black CEO scenario. A white homeless person’s life will never be made harder because of their skin colour because have white privilege. However, this doesn’t mean that their life isn’t made harder bc of their socio-economic class. On the other hand, the Black CEO’s life would’ve have been made harder because of their skin colour since they don’t possess white privilege. However, the Black CEO would experience privilege from their social-economic class. Learn the difference between these two kinds of privileges.

The BLM movement is centred around race and highlights the fact that black people don’t have white privilege and their lives are made harder as a result of their skin colour, therefore the point you mention about the homeless person is simply invalid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed