The Student Room Group

Is banking or consulting harder to get into?

Generally, which is harder to get into?
Original post by Anonymous

What kind of consulting? I'm assuming you are referring to financial consulting? Getting a graduate job in investment banking is far more difficult due mainly to its pay. There are few positions and thousands of applicants. One of the worst jobs in the UK in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
What kind of consulting? I'm assuming you are referring to financial consulting? Getting a graduate job in investment banking is far more difficult due mainly to its pay. There are few positions and thousands of applicants. One of the worst jobs in the UK in my opinion.

strategy consulting

I think consulting at MBB is probably harder then IB. The interviews are notorious, you really have to be prepped and knowledgable. Plus they just dont have the same number of vanancies.

That said Ive met more people get into Big-4 consulting then IB, so I broadly suspect that is less competitive.

The reality is they are all competitive because the compensation and prestige of the job is excellent.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
I think consulting at MBB is probably harder then IB. The interviews are notorious, you really have to be prepped and knowledgable. Plus they just dont have the same number of vanancies.

That said Ive met more people get into Big-4 consulting then IB, so I broadly suspect that is less competitive.

The reality is they are all competitive because the compensation and prestige of the job is excellent.

My dream would be strategy consulting at MBB but i've heard so much about how hard it is to get into especially if you're not coming from oxbridge, and that I might as well go for banking since the competition is the same but higher pay and more vacancies, then switch to consulting later in career
My dream would be strategy consulting at MBB but i've heard so much about how hard it is to get into especially if you're not coming from oxbridge, and that I might as well go for banking since the competition is the same but higher pay and more vacancies, then switch to consulting later in career

Im not sire switching from IB to MBB is that easy to do. (and breaking into an IB job and sticking out to a level that would even appear on the radar of MBB is also not easy).

I think if you miss on MBB the route into it would be to go Big4/tier-2 and try and make a name for yourself.

Probably the thing to do is apply for all of them as lets face it, they are all super competitive. But you need to tailor & prep your applications for each one.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Im not sire switching from IB to MBB is that easy to do. (and breaking into an IB job and sticking out to a level that would even appear on the radar of MBB is also not easy).

I think if you miss on MBB the route into it would be to go Big4/tier-2 and try and make a name for yourself.

Probably the thing to do is apply for all of them as lets face it, they are all super competitive. But you need to tailor & prep your applications for each one.

Ah that makes sense. True I might as well apply to everything and take what I get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending