media influence

Watch this thread
pd316-Elite
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a question to answer for uni though finding it difficult to solve specific part.

How much influence does the media have on attitudes to disability and mental illness.

Can find how media represents these conditions though branching in affect on attitudes is confusing me.

Any help would be extremely useful.
Last edited by pd316-Elite; 1 year ago
HallieMarie
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I would say that the media has a huge influence on how society sees people who are disabled and have a mental illness? So for newspapers, people with mental illness are often depicted as being violent? It's never really shown in a good light. Therefore, stigma exists and, because of this, people who have a mental illness do not want to come forward out of fear. Although for movies, I watched a video where it stated the differences in how the media portrays male v female mental illness. The differences being that women are often depicted as being crazy whereas the men are often deep thinkers. However, I have searched for evidence of this and have really come up short!

I clicked on here because for a moment I thought I had written this post haha. I'm doing an assessment on societal attitudes towards female mental illness and have been trying to find articles on media and societal attitudes and it's so difficult! So I understand! have you tried looking for newspaper articles? Can you use those for your assessment? But yeah, I've found lots of people saying that it has an effect but no articles to back this up that aren't blogs. If I find anything I'll post them on here.

I found something on media and how it contributes to stigma in this:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...llness&f=false
Last edited by HallieMarie; 1 year ago
pd316-Elite
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks yeah I think for this particular question we are able to use a variety of sources, including blogs and other forms of social media. I have yet to look at much media sources however and have mainly focused my research in on academic research.

I have found things like the media playing a key role in informing society of minority groups such as individuals with disabilities and mental illness. And that most of what is depicted in relation to these minorities are negative though even some of the positive representations regarding this is very stereotypical so it does not really provide a holistic representation of specific conditions.

For example Sheldon Cooper in the big bang theory though it is never confirmed it is clear to see that this character is showing some signs that are directly linked to autism however Sheldon is shown to be seriously smart in his particular field of neurophysics this is a sign of autistic savant only a minority of individuals with autism have these abilities.this could also be seen in relation to paralympiams as well emphasising super abilities although positive in some ways is negative in others especially for individuals without these skills.
However the only problem I have is bridging the gap between these representations to the attitudes that are brought with them I know of various key stereotypes that are presented throughout various forms of media though the effects these have are not very clear the easiest way to answer the question is through the use of theories however my word count is extremely limited and I find applying theory leads to repetition which brings its own problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
15.07%
The paper was reasonable (151)
51.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (69)
23.63%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
9.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed