how much are you supposed to study for A level?

Watch
elizabethxxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm starting AS next year, but I don't know how much I'll have to study for each subject (on average). I studied 2-3 hours every night for my gcses (before they were cancelled), so would that be enough for A level??
username5322004
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm also going to year 12 this September
What a levels subjects are you picking?
Humairazaman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by elizabethxxx)
I'm starting AS next year, but I don't know how much I'll have to study for each subject (on average). I studied 2-3 hours every night for my gcses (before they were cancelled), so would that be enough for A level??
Hey! Im starting yr 12 in sept aswell. TBH before GCSEs got cancelled i was studying for like 4-5 hours a day because I only started revising fully in yr 11 and wanted all 9s. That really burnt me out so for Alevel I'm gonna start revision ASAP so I don't burn out in exam season. I'd say an hour for each subject each day should be fine as you'll get homework, you'll need to look over something you didnt get in class and practice questions. Alevels are very content heavy and you should do work consistently to be in a good position when it comes to mock/exam time. Year 12 is really important however, you shouldn't burn yourself out. I hope this will help!
if you dont mind, what alevels are you doing? what are your plans for uni/career? I'm doing maths, FM, chem and physics
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. the recommended at my college (which seems to be the same at other peoples on TSR) is that you should spend at least 5 hours per week per subject self studying. This includes any homework and coursework. So if you are taking 3 A Levels you should be doing at least 15hours self study a week.
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It varies from person to person. At the start, you'll probably only need to spend a few hours a week per subject, depending on how fast your teachers go, to be able to stay on top of everything you've learnt so far. Plus, you'll have the benefit of free periods, so you'll have plenty of time to get adjusted and figure out how long you need to spend. Once the content starts to build up, you'll have to start studying more often and consistently, so enjoy those first few weeks.
elizabethxxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by AK1606)
I'm also going to year 12 this September
What a levels subjects are you picking?
I originally chose bio, chem, physics and maths, but maybe I remove bio as I'm starting to think it will be a bit too much hehe
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That would be more than enough - I certainly wasn't doing 2-3hrs every day for my 4 A levels! About 3-5 hours self-study per subject per week sounds about right, but it will depend on if you have a test etc. "How long should I work for" is similar to "how long is a piece of string"; you'll need to do your homework, revise for tests, go over classwork etc, and some weeks that will take longer than others!
elizabethxxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Humairazaman)
Hey! Im starting yr 12 in sept aswell. TBH before GCSEs got cancelled i was studying for like 4-5 hours a day because I only started revising fully in yr 11 and wanted all 9s. That really burnt me out so for Alevel I'm gonna start revision ASAP so I don't burn out in exam season. I'd say an hour for each subject each day should be fine as you'll get homework, you'll need to look over something you didnt get in class and practice questions. Alevels are very content heavy and you should do work consistently to be in a good position when it comes to mock/exam time. Year 12 is really important however, you shouldn't burn yourself out. I hope this will help!
if you dont mind, what alevels are you doing? what are your plans for uni/career? I'm doing maths, FM, chem and physics
hi!! I chose bio, chem, physics and maths, but I'm thinking about removing bio because I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with all the work ://
As for your second question, I have no idea what I want to do at uni hehe. I love science though, so maybe I'll do a type of engineering.
Humairazaman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi!! I chose bio, chem, physics and maths, but I'm thinking about removing bio because I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with all the work ://
As for your second question, I have no idea what I want to do at uni hehe. I love science though, so maybe I'll do a type of engineering.
I'm worried about the workload too as I might have to take some GCSEs in autumn.
I want to do a physics related or engineering degree too. If you're aiming for top unis and you like maths, it might be helpful to do further maths. I love bio but i had to drop it as its not really relevant in eng/physics courses.
Have you done any alevel prep yet? Have you done any work exp. in engineering?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
However much you need to do well, basically. It depends how quickly you get things. A few hours per day sounds a bit too much, at the beginning just do enough to get to grips with what you've learned/do the homework. Anything on top of that is unnecessary unless you've got a test coming up.
sassy sausages
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm also going into sixth form but from what i've heard they say a good rule is however many teaching hours for a subject, you should do self study for the same amount of time. For me 1 alevel subject is 9 hours over 2 weeks so i'd be studying 9 hours atleast for that subject
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My college always suggested at least 17 hours per week of homework and/or revision - we had about 18 hours of lessons a week. Personally, I tended to do a little more than that, but that was a good baseline!
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think most people start A-levels with the idea of studying for a few hours every night and being super productive all the time, but very quickly realise that that's not sustainable at all! I would say do enough to keep on top of your schoolwork, and if you find yourself at a loose end, maybe some consolidation?

Making revision resources as you go or at the end of every topic will save you a lot of time in the future!
jemima0103
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
Hi. the recommended at my college (which seems to be the same at other peoples on TSR) is that you should spend at least 5 hours per week per subject self studying. This includes any homework and coursework. So if you are taking 3 A Levels you should be doing at least 15hours self study a week.
That was what my school recommended as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads