The Student Room Group

should a 16 year old be saving money, or just spend it?

im 16 and have a few hundred quid left, been saving since i was 11 cos idk what i want lol. most expensive thing i got with my money was paying half for a laptop and cello. things like food, stationary, books etc. my parents buy for me.
my friend saw my stash and said i need to spend it because its silly to save money. although i like the idea of saving money for rainy days and stuff, is there even any point in saving money at 16yrs as i dont have anything to be paying for anyway? and i'd probably make much more than i've earnt in 5 years with just a few weeks of part-time?
but the thing is idk what to buy lol. should i spend it anyway?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
spend it on charity

like not all of it, but a nice amount which also makes you feel good, think about the recipient
Reply 2
Bit off both can’t harm 😊🥳
Reply 3
Original post by b1nary
spend it on charity

i already do that as i volunteer for one, so no more charity rn pls lol
If you have nothing you need or want to buy why not save it? You can use it when there is something you would like to buy at later day.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
i already do that as i volunteer for one, so no more charity rn pls lol

that's cool. it's good to save money for rainy days as you said. but it's good to save it for your future, you never know what might happen.
Bit of both as said above.

When you start sixth form and start going out for lunch, on nights out ect...you will really appreciate having the cash.

I had a job in the summers between Y10/11 and Y11/12 and I have saved most of the money I made from then. It means that, yes I do have to keep an eye on what I am spending as it was only minimum wage, but I do have the money to treat myself every now and again...
I put my money in a bank and if i want to buy somit (maybe a game -sims is my weakness :frown:) then i can, otherwise i save it. Do somit that makes you feel good with it!
If you don't want anything you might as well save it. Your friend sounds like they could be a bit jealous.
Reply 9
Original post by Muserock
If you have nothing you need or want to buy why not save it? You can use it when there is something you would like to buy at later day.

true, i'd like to spend it on something i want, but im also afraid i'll feel guilty for buying something i want rather than need
Reply 10
You sound like you have nothing you want to spend it on. Why waste it?
Original post by Becca216
Bit of both as said above.

When you start sixth form and start going out for lunch, on nights out ect...you will really appreciate having the cash.

I had a job in the summers between Y10/11 and Y11/12 and I have saved most of the money I made from then. It means that, yes I do have to keep an eye on what I am spending as it was only minimum wage, but I do have the money to treat myself every now and again...

im in sixthform(Y12) i didn't buy lunches at school, i brought leftovers from home. im too good at saving money lmao, and not in a good way...
but yeah, once i start part time jobs i'll take your advice :smile:
Original post by bambi1425
I put my money in a bank and if i want to buy somit (maybe a game -sims is my weakness :frown:) then i can, otherwise i save it. Do somit that makes you feel good with it!

hahaha. EA(sims) may be known for milking players money, but cant lie i'd still spend that much money on sims lol (when they're on offer, of course)
Original post by LovelyMrFox
You sound like you have nothing you want to spend it on. Why waste it?

i have a few things in mind that i'd want, but they're not needs, so idk
im in sixthform(Y12) i didn't buy lunches at school, i brought leftovers from home. im too good at saving money lmao, and not in a good way...
but yeah, once i start part time jobs i'll take your advice :smile:

No I do get you I can sometimes be over strict with myself sometimes. For example if I have forgotten to bring my water bottle with me to college, I'll try telling myself I don't need any just so I don't have to buy any when as a matter of fact I probably should buy it for m own health (not sure if that makes sense) :smile:
hahaha. EA(sims) may be known for milking players money, but cant lie i'd still spend that much money on sims lol (when they're on offer, of course)

samee xD i do not buy unless they're on offer (aka the price they should be!)
Original post by Becca216
No I do get you I can sometimes be over strict with myself sometimes. For example if I have forgotten to bring my water bottle with me to college, I'll try telling myself I don't need any just so I don't have to buy any when as a matter of fact I probably should buy it for m own health (not sure if that makes sense) :smile:

haha i do that too. fortunately they have water fountains, or i'd be dehydrated by now xd
Original post by bambi1425
samee xD i do not buy unless they're on offer (aka the price they should be!)

i remember first seeing sims4 for £60........... i bought the game for £20, and have quite a few DLC that i cant imagine paying the full £35 for lmao, may as well get a new game with that money
Reply 18
i have a few things in mind that i'd want, but they're not needs, so idk

If its worth the money, go for it.
i remember first seeing sims4 for £60........... i bought the game for £20, and have quite a few DLC that i cant imagine paying the full £35 for lmao, may as well get a new game with that money

ikr, I have far too many, but 🤷

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending