The Student Room Group

Should I fail final year on purpose?

Basically I have been very depressed this year. I'm not going to get a 2.1... if I fail completely I have the chance to resit the year. I'm not sure if they would let me to just not sit my exams and re-do final year... I'd rather re-sit final year and get a 2.1 rather than just get a 2.2. What do you think?
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I have been very depressed this year. I'm not going to get a 2.1... if I fail completely I have the chance to resit the year. I'm not sure if they would let me to just not sit my exams and re-do final year... I'd rather re-sit final year and get a 2.1 rather than just get a 2.2. What do you think?

No don't fail on purpose your degree ok because you should go into this with a view you will do fantastically well and pass as don't feel negative as always positive .

You still able to get a job with a 2.2 but employers would consider those with a 2.1 first and foremost but not necessary offer them it if you show them that you got what it takes like.

Depending on what your degree course you are doing then you should get a opportunity to resit exams again to see if you pass but I wouldn't go out of my way to deliberately fail a degree course like as why suffer another stressful year and you might still not pass if you look at the bigger picture.

Do you mean retake? Resits are usually capped (without extenuating circumstances), so that won't actually benefit you. Have you spoken to student support and/or your personal tutor about your options?

final year is a tricky one. I would try and speak to your university or your tutors about it. Modules are usually capped for retakes of exams unless you have mitigating circumstances - of which depression / mental illness is one.

Would I purposely fail a year? no. Please speak to your tutors, you may be allowed to retake the modules you've failed without a cap (I don't know how your university works). Also, a 2.2 is an okay grade if you've got a 2.1 in the second year (I'm assuming you did a three-year course) remember that whilst 3rd year is heavier weighted, second-year still does count.

Anyway, I'm waffling ... definitely talk to your tutors and see what your options are. you may be able to retake the exams or they may suggest your re-sit the year but definitely don't fail on purpose.
I don't go to university so don't take my word alone for it, but have you considered talking to them about adjustments in light of extenuating circumstances? I'm not too sure on the fine details, but I believe they would need to make adjustments for you. This entire crisis with COVID-19 is definitely one of those circumstances, the impact it's having on your mental health also adds on to it.

But as others said, don't tank something because you're stressed as resits are usually limited.
get a doctors note saying you're not fit to sit the exams and they should give you the chance to sit them with the summer exams without being capped

Quick Reply

Latest