The Student Room Group

ratio of boy to girls in medical school

Hi.
in our school there are like 10 girls applying and then there only me and 2 other boys. it seems like from our school anyway we a not all likely to get in. but are there the same ratios of boys to girls in medical school so actually in our secondary school we(boys) have a higher chance
You don't have a higher chance based on gender, that's not how it works
The best applicants get in- whoever performs best at interview and has best stats
I would say in my med school it is about 60:40 girls to boys
Med schools don’t select based on gender/race/sexuality/etc at all - it’s 100% on your stats! So no advantage at all, sorry. But med schools also don’t care what school you’re at, except for WP criteria, so you’re not disadvantaged by having lots of your peers apply - I’m pretty sure all 7 of the medicine applicants at my school this year who applied to Bristol got offers there, for example.

As @AzureCeleste says, on a national level there are about 60% girls 40% boys enrolling in undergraduate medicine degrees, but that’s probably because more girls apply, and anecdotally I’ve heard that girls tend to do better at interview.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
thank you all
There are more women that men in medical school. You do not have a higher chance of getting in just because there are fewer boys applying. Applications will be judged on their merit, and gender is irrelevant.

I think there are quite large double standards surround this, however. Whenever women are in the minority in an area of medicine (eg surgical consultants), it is viewed as a problem that needs to be fixed, and there is a huge focus on "improving the representation of women". Whenever men are in the minority, it is not viewed as a problem at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I was a bit surprised at how big the gap was on last year's UCAT. Over 8000 more females took the test than males (circa 18K v 10K) :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending