Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure what I want to do, I've had some thoughts about things like Nursing, Computer Science (without Maths A Level), Anthropology or Theology,o or possibly a language (currently taking gcse and a level outside school).

My current choices are English language, Geography and Computing. Would this combination possibily stand in the way of what I'd like to do? What would be a better choice?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For Nursing I believe they like you to have Biology.

ReputationRep:
    Well, your 'aims' are extremely varied, so aiming for one will probably exclude the others. I'd say you're okay, but I would pick up a science or maths as well to help you when it comes to uni choices. And change Eng. lang for lit, its more respected as an essay subject. 4 AS subjects is really not that difficult or too much of a work load, so you should be fine :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Well, your 'aims' are extremely varied, so aiming for one will probably exclude the others. I'd say you're okay, but I would pick up a science or maths as well to help you when it comes to uni choices. And change Eng. lang for lit, its more respected as an essay subject. 4 AS subjects is really not that difficult or too much of a work load, so you should be fine :yep:
    Well, I went to a crap boarding school with few teachers and little subject choice. I did GCSE English Lang because Lit wasn't offered at my school, and only Single Science was offered, which I got a B in, and my Sixth Form wasn't keen to accept anyone who hadn't done Double Award science. Would changing Language for the combined Language & Literature course help, or is that even less respected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Well, I went to a crap boarding school with few teachers and little subject choice. I did GCSE English Lang because Lit wasn't offered at my school, and only Single Science was offered, which I got a B in, and my Sixth Form wasn't keen to accept anyone who hadn't done Double Award science. Would changing Language for the combined Language & Literature course help, or is that even less respected?
    Lit and lang would probably be better yes. They didn't offer lit: :eek: We HAD to take both at my school.

Could you explain to your sixth form the situation with science and beg them to let you do a science?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any reason why you couldn't do Maths A-Level? Because if you decide you want to apply for Computer Science, you will find yourself at a disadvantage. Most places either "reccomend" you have it, in which case applicants with Maths will be given priority over those without Maths, or they say you have to have it, in which case you wouldn't be able to apply at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I'm not really sure what I want to do, I've had some thoughts about things like Nursing, Computer Science (without Maths A Level), Anthropology or Theology,o or possibly a language (currently taking gcse and a level outside school).

My current choices are English language, Geography and Computing. Would this combination possibily stand in the way of what I'd like to do? What would be a better choice?

Thanks
    I agree with an above poster who said that without Maths A-Level, you would be disadvantaged if you wanted to do Computing Science. I would seriously consider taking A-Level Maths; you don't actually need an A-Level in Computing or I.T to do a Computing Science degree.

As soon as someone says they would like to do English Language, it is always suggested on these boards to change to do English Lit. I have done both English Literature and English Language and found the latter much more enjoyable. OP, if you believe you would enjoy English Language more, I would say take it. You will not be at a disadvantage if you have other strong subjects.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.