Turn on thread page Beta

Biology or English Literature? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Maths, History, Geography and English Lit for AS. However after getting a B in English Lit and high As in Science, and with my doubts I've had for a long time about English I'm considering changing to Biology. Any advice? Is there a point taking Biology if I don't want to do Science type course at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Biology is a lot of work at A level. It's basically memorising huge amounts of information...

ReputationRep:
    No, continue with English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Ya, I don't actually see much point in Biology if you don't want to do sciences at University...

The subject is very time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    English lit is a lot less work, i know my friends who did bio were flat out with work all the time

(Original post by ~Hazzle*)
    I'm taking Maths, History, Geography and English Lit for AS. However after getting a B in English Lit and high As in Science, and with my doubts I've had for a long time about English I'm considering changing to Biology. Any advice? Is there a point taking Biology if I don't want to do Science type course at uni?
    Just because you got a B, doesn't mean that you won't do well in English at A-Level. I say Maths, History, Geography and Biology looks very respectable indeed. But then again, if you want to do English, then do English. Your B will not stop you from getting a good grade in English. As long as you have the potential to do good in English, then you will get a high mark - and English will complement History. But, on the other hand, if you are having second thoughts on taking a science course in uni, biology will give you the reassurance. Unless you know that you really want to take English at uni, then don't take. But if you enjoy English take it. It depends where your abilities lie, your GCSEs don't mean anything on what you will get at A Level. If you enjoy English more, take it; but if you enjoy biology more, take bio. Overall, either one you will take; providing you get good grades etc., you will be a very respectable applicant when you will apply for uni.

In conclusion, I ask you this, "What do YOU enjoy more - English lit or biology"? Just because you got an A or a B doesn't prove anything on what you will get at A Level. Take what you will enjoy, don't let your GCSEs determine what you will do at sixth form.

I've hoped I've helped you in making your desicion!

ReputationRep:
    My best advice is to just choose the one you're most likely to enjoy My friend got a B in GCSE English Literature, but achieved an A at AS, so there's no correlation between the two at all. A B is an excellent grade and if you've had your sights set on English for a long time, you shouldn't change your mind unless you're absolutely certain that Biology is for you. If you don't want to study anything related to science at university, it's no reason not to study Biology if you're going to find it a worthwhile and interesting subject at A-Level, as the ideal combination of A-Level subjects should be based not only on what you want to do in the future, but on what you enjoy!

Either way, both subjects will complement your other choices really well, so it really doesn't matter which one you opt for - just go with your instincts! If you think you've made the wrong decision, I'm sure you'll be able to change within the first few weeks of starting your courses. I hope this helps!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Its a lot easier to get a good grade in English than Bio. Bio is in a total different leauge than English. I did Bio and got a U! And gave up. I should have done English Lit I was predicted a B!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, you've been really helpful . My answer is I enjoy both, but I think, from what you've said, I should be doing English because Science requires maximum dedication.

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.