Moving into student accommodation or staying at home?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I can’t decide whether or not I want to move into accommodation for uni this September (first year) or stay at home. I live only 40mins commute from my uni and wouldn’t mind staying at home but I do want to try and live away from home and experience the student life and make new friends but I’m not too sure if it’s going to be worth it since there are social distancing measures, barely any social events and most of lectures and teachings are going to be online anyway so I feel like I’d be in my accommodation most of the time because of the lack of things to do..
Opinions?
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you already have a good friendship group/network from home? If so, stay at home if your course is planned to be online. 2020 is a write off. If you don't have a good friendship group right now, I would go to uni accommodation as isolation for the year may be hard on you ?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can’t decide whether or not I want to move into accommodation for uni this September (first year) or stay at home. I live only 40mins commute from my uni and wouldn’t mind staying at home but I do want to try and live away from home and experience the student life and make new friends but I’m not too sure if it’s going to be worth it since there are social distancing measures, barely any social events and most of lectures and teachings are going to be online anyway so I feel like I’d be in my accommodation most of the time because of the lack of things to do..
Opinions?
Hi!

I personally think you should move into accommodation as you could still go home and see your friends/family if nothing is going on at your Uni but you could also experience moving out, potentially going to some lectures, and make friends with those in your flat. Social distancing measures might be lifted sooner than we think (fingers crossed) so you might end up having a normal first year towards the end and not feel like you missed out on that first year experience (even though I understand that it is not completely the same).

Erin - Official Student Rep
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Opinions?
Hi Anonymous,
I agree with University of Portsmouth Student Rep! A large part of my university experience was what happened outside of lectures, both the little and the large things. Going through the shared university experience with these people also gave us such a strong friendship with so many collective memories- it wasn't just the partying but chats over breakfast, someone losing their keys time and time again and the fact that you all grew together!

Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Do you already have a good friendship group/network from home? If so, stay at home if your course is planned to be online. 2020 is a write off. If you don't have a good friendship group right now, I would go to uni accommodation as isolation for the year may be hard on you ?
I do have a few friends I talk to at home but they are from work or go to uni anyway, thanks for the advice! I’ll probably try accommodation
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I personally think you should move into accommodation as you could still go home and see your friends/family if nothing is going on at your Uni but you could also experience moving out, potentially going to some lectures, and make friends with those in your flat. Social distancing measures might be lifted sooner than we think (fingers crossed) so you might end up having a normal first year towards the end and not feel like you missed out on that first year experience (even though I understand that it is not completely the same).

Erin - Official Student Rep
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi Anonymous,
I agree with University of Portsmouth Student Rep! A large part of my university experience was what happened outside of lectures, both the little and the large things. Going through the shared university experience with these people also gave us such a strong friendship with so many collective memories- it wasn't just the partying but chats over breakfast, someone losing their keys time and time again and the fact that you all grew together!

Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
thank you both for the advice! I think I will end up going to accommodation for the experience and I can always quickly go home anyway if I need to! Thank you again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads