Unmotivated to do anything since working from home

Watch
aaliyah519
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So, I’m currently in year 12 and next year I’ll be taking my a-levels. Prior to all the colleges closing down, I feel like I was so much more productive in terms of revision and doing extra work and now that we are at home, I feel like I haven’t done anything. I’ve still been doing all the work my teachers have been setting me and handing everything in on time but for some reason, I just can’t motivate myself to go the extra mile like I used to. I know that at the end of the day, my future is in my hands and I find myself stressing so much about year 13 and what could potentially happen with our A-levels but instead of acting in that, I’m just contemplating about it. I wanted to know if anyone else has been having the same problem as me or how you have avoided it.
Last edited by aaliyah519; 1 week ago

DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aaliyah519)
So, I’m currently in year 12 and next year I’ll be taking my a-levels. Prior to all the colleges closing down, I feel like I was so much more productive in terms of revision and doing extra work and now that we are at home, I feel like I haven’t done anything. I’ve still been doing all the work my teachers have been setting me and handing everything in on time but for some reason, I just can’t motivate myself to go the extra mile like I used to. I know that at the end of the day, my future is in my hands and I find myself stressing so much about year 13 and what could potentially happen with our A-levels but instead of acting in that, I’m just contemplating about it. I wanted to know if anyone else has been having the same problem as me or how you have avoided it.
You're definitely not alone. I think a lot of people are feeling like this because nobody knows what the future is going to look like or how things are going to happen, so it feels a bit pointless to prep yourself and do work for something that may not happen, or may happen totally differently to how you're expecting. Take it easy and give yourself a break. Everything is up in the air at the moment and nobody really knows what to do, not even the people in charge. You'll be absolutely fine.
capricornavocado
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aaliyah519)
Hi there! I know this is a stressful time for everyone so give yourself a break! I was in your position last year and I would often find myself so stressed about Alevels that I would rarely push myself to go the extra mile. A piece of advice I would give is that you are in control of your own future. I don’t mean to scare you in any way but next year will be super stressful what with applying for ucas or apprenticeships and it will fly by!! Even if you can’t find motivation to do extra work I would say just stay organised. Go through every chapter of work you have done and organise your notes into folders if you haven’t already. If there is any work missing either try and catch up yourself using textbooks or if you and your friends share notes see if you can photo copy there’s. That way you will have all of this years work ready to make revision and so next year all you will have to do is focus on the work ahead. Trust me it feels like a small task but it will help so much. I wasn’t as organised in year 12 and I definitely felt behind already at the start of September because I simply hadn’t taken the time to go through my notes and folders. It definitely helps take the stress off next year!

In terms of motivation just try and work slow at your own pace. Maybe set aside 1 hour for that particular day and say okay today I’m just going to read head on this chapter or read over my notes from this topic. That way you know you only have one task to do. It can often feel as though everyone around you is getting so much done but I promise you this is not necessarily the case. Personally I knew that I couldn’t get excessive amounts done in a day so I would start with the stuff I hated and split it up into smaller tasks. Again like I said you might think that these smaller tasks are helpful but I promise that next year they will put you in a better position. Another tip would be to find the time you feel most motivated. If you know you work better at night choose that time or if you know you prefer to get things done and out of the way in the morning go for that. It’s all about what works for YOU. If you have any other questions I’m happy to discuss further!
But remember, don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.23%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
20.83%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.59%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (67)
21.47%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
9.94%
I haven't started researching yet (31)
9.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed