The Student Room Group

English lit degree but I don’t read

I loved english a level and the study of literature but am not a natural reader for fun - love a good book when I get into it but avoid it for some reason and don’t have the concentration to get into a new book. I got an A in my mock and predicted A* so hopefully will get in, but is this a big mistake ?? How easy would it be to change course when I’m at uni
This is a problem because you will be expected to read a considerable amount at university, including literature and criticism. When I was at university, I was expected to read multiple texts per week. Those who excel in their degree with be the ones that read widely and know their stuff. There will be times where you can skip a text e.g. it doesn't interest you or you have already decided to write your essay on a text from a previous week - however, you should be willing to engage with most of the work set on your course. You may be able to coast by (to an extent) reading the occasional text but you will be at a disadvantage. How will you participate in seminars? How will you understand where a text fits within a genre or a writer's canon?
Original post by Student56789017
I loved english a level and the study of literature but am not a natural reader for fun - love a good book when I get into it but avoid it for some reason and don’t have the concentration to get into a new book. I got an A in my mock and predicted A* so hopefully will get in, but is this a big mistake ?? How easy would it be to change course when I’m at uni

If you opt out of novel-heavy modules (so anything like Victorian lit, Gothic fiction, American fiction etc.), you might just be able to get by an Englit course with having to read too many books. But that'll probably mean more poetry and drama - are you okay with this? I personally know of someone who did English at KCL and didn't read a single novel throughout her entire degree (and did well at the end!), so it's definitely not impossible. That said, I would really reconsider doing an English degree if the thought of reading puts you off...
Original post by Student56789017

If you aren’t a natural reader for fun I question why you want to do a degree where most of your time will be spent reading. You won’t just be reading fiction books either. You’ll also have to read lots of academic essays written by literary scholars which can also be dry and dull.
I think you'll be fine tbh! Coming from someone who is now on an English lit Masters degree and doesn't really read in her spare time! Technically! I do read a lot of fanfic. But yeah going back to my undergrad, I was close friends with 2 people who also didn't read a lot! And we all got a 2:1. We tended to just read what books we knew we would do for an essay. For seminars, we would just find someone's essay on it to get points. Also, there will be people who won't shut up and can't wait to speak (not at all a bad thing!) so you can just say "yeah, I agree with" or something. Probably not the best thing to do but I was on a joint course so reading 3 books a week wasn't feasible (my own fault, I applied for the course but whatever-it worked for me). Baring in mind, on my masters course, two of the girls got a first in undergrad and I don't think they finished a single book on the MA course and are on course for a distinction. You do not need to read every book :smile: Also, you will soon find a particular thing you are interested in. For me, it was gender. Once I realised that this is what I liked etc it was easier to be excited about reading the books for the essays.
Original post by HallieMarie
I think you'll be fine tbh! Coming from someone who is now on an English lit Masters degree and doesn't really read in her spare time! Technically! I do read a lot of fanfic. But yeah going back to my undergrad, I was close friends with 2 people who also didn't read a lot! And we all got a 2:1. We tended to just read what books we knew we would do for an essay. For seminars, we would just find someone's essay on it to get points. Also, there will be people who won't shut up and can't wait to speak (not at all a bad thing!) so you can just say "yeah, I agree with" or something. Probably not the best thing to do but I was on a joint course so reading 3 books a week wasn't feasible (my own fault, I applied for the course but whatever-it worked for me). Baring in mind, on my masters course, two of the girls got a first in undergrad and I don't think they finished a single book on the MA course and are on course for a distinction. You do not need to read every book :smile: Also, you will soon find a particular thing you are interested in. For me, it was gender. Once I realised that this is what I liked etc it was easier to be excited about reading the books for the essays.

What is the point of spending so much money on a degree and not fully taking part? What a waste of seminar time to simply coast by on the contributions of others! Obviously there will be some texts that you won't be able to read for whatever reason, but if you are committing to three years of your life (with the possibility of going into an English related career), it seems like a wasted opportunity. You may find something you are interested in - for me, it was feminism / feminist theory - but you will still be expected to complete a range of modules and sometimes it may be difficult to apply a specific theory / lens.
No... Why would you go do a degree that frankly isn't very employable.......and you don't enjoy the primary activity it base's around.... That's silly. You'll have hated your degree and be unemployed... I say it's one or the other.
Will be a struggle. Would 100% not recommend doing a reading-heavy degree if you're not fond of reading that much. You'll barely have the enthusiasm to do the bare minimum and will have wasted your time at university.
Original post by Hyperbolit
If you opt out of novel-heavy modules (so anything like Victorian lit, Gothic fiction, American fiction etc.), you might just be able to get by an Englit course with having to read too many books. But that'll probably mean more poetry and drama - are you okay with this? I personally know of someone who did English at KCL and didn't read a single novel throughout her entire degree (and did well at the end!), so it's definitely not impossible. That said, I would really reconsider doing an English degree if the thought of reading puts you off...

This.

OP, it seems a bit sad to choose a degree where you may have to pre-eliminate certain module options purely due to the amount of reading. It would be better to choose a course where you are happy to engage with the majority of the content, which will improve your likelihood of success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending