Turn on thread page Beta

Which philosopher do you find the most interesting? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which philosopher do you find the most interesting?
    Socrates
    7.14%
    Plato
    4.76%
    Aristotle
    3.57%
    Immanuel Kant
    8.33%
    Confucius
    2.38%
    Karl Marx
    14.29%
    Soren Kierkegaard
    4.76%
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    19.05%
    John Locke
    0%
    David Hume
    5.95%
    Rene Descartes
    8.33%
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    5.95%
    Jean-Paul Sartre
    3.57%
    John Stuart Mill
    7.14%
    Bertrand Russell
    4.76%
    Gottfried Leibniz
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Me too! It's such a strange book . . . but brilliant. Like you say, often he just sounds insane. Did you know he actually went insane later in life? I was reading about it the other day; apparently he was sitting in a cafe and saw a man beating a horse. He ran outside and screamed for the man to stop hurting it and then just fell in the road and had a severe breakdown. After that he was completely insane for the rest of his life. It's tragic really.

He is such a fascinating philosopher. :yep:
    Wow, that's fascinating! I never knew that lol :p:.

I just love the bits where he talks 'Of Poets' and 'Of Voluntary Death', though my reading has now ground to a halt because of his madness :p:

"A great despot could come, a shrewd devil, who with his favour and disfavour could compel and constrain all that is past, until it became his bridge and prognostic and herald and ****-crow."

I mean... :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Wow, that's fascinating! I never knew that lol :p:.

I just love the bits where he talks 'Of Poets' and 'Of Voluntary Death', though my reading has now ground to a halt because of his madness :p:

"A great despot could come, a shrewd devil, who with his favour and disfavour could compel and constrain all that is past, until it became his bridge and prognostic and herald and ****-crow."

I mean... :eek: :eek:
    Lol absolutely!

ReputationRep:
    I've gone for Nietzsche partly because of perspectivalism and partly for his transvaluation of all values, which are present throughout most of his works. That is, his ability to stare directly in the face of morality and see it for what it really is without being entrenched in the prejudices of his own day is something we still don't really do in philosophy.

Also, despite it usually being interpreted differently than Nietzsche meant it, his "god is dead" exclamation, and more importantly, the madman coming too early for people to heed his words are descriptions of things we've witnessed, and still are witnessing, since his death.

Being a philosophy student in the analytic tradition I find Nietzsche acts as a great bridge between analytic and some continental philosopher's work. He also acts as a great mirror to philosophy making it look at itself and try not to repeat its mistakes.

Disappointed Schopenhauer's not on the list, I may have chosen him as my number 1 for his influence over Nietzsche's own ideas.

Marx for me although Nietszche is a close second. Russel coming up the rear.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Sartre or Nietzsche. The way they treated women would be criminal in this day and age :begone:

ReputationRep:
    Leibniz is on the list but Schopenhauer isn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MGT_90)
    Leibniz is on the list but Schopenhauer isn't?
    Point, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Wittgenstein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donald Duck)
    Is there such a thing called wrong and how can you be certain?
    Yes there is such a thing. One is wrong when ones actions or views match those of Aristotle

ReputationRep:
    Karl Marx or Aristotle. I voted Aristotle, though.

ReputationRep:
    Plato his theory of the forms and allegory of the cave really give you something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    Yes there is such a thing. One is wrong when ones actions or views match those of Aristotle

:rofl: Jokes :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wittgenstein, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche; for the most interesting. John Stuart Mill is, in my opinion, the lamest; though admittedly I've only read 'On Liberty' by him, so my opinion isn't too valuable on that front.

ReputationRep:
    For most interesting? It's gotta be Russell!!

Two books that changed my life (perhaps a bit dramatic) = 'Power' + 'In Praise of Idleness'
    As for who I most agree with, I've not read everyone on the list enough to say. But Hume is **** hot.

ReputationRep:
    For Me:

Soren Kierkegaard
    Friedrich Nietzsche

the latter more so than the former, although I value Kierkegaard's contribution to the field and influence of Nietzsche, Nietzsche's view on the world was so refreshing to read when I read the subject - beat the usual stuff to say the least, remember people, you have a conscience b/c you are to weak to overcome and dominate others (to put it simply) - legend

Worst:

Freud (do I really need to explain lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01kij114)
    Plato his theory of the forms and allegory of the cave really give you something to think about.
    I hated Plato's theory of the forms haha - although Republic was a good read

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] He's so overrated. Russell is da man.

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan, he might as well be a philosopher

ReputationRep:
    Descartes, for his love of ovens

ReputationRep:
    Mill. And I spend too much time writing philosophy essays to bother explaining myself in my spare time :p:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.