The Student Room Group

HOW much for a frigging license?!

Perhaps I've missed something but last time I looked at applying it was £38. This was in Feburary last year and I wish to God I hadn't put it off for another year now. Theives! I can remember when a can of coke was 50p and when penny sweets actually cost a penny.

With the failing economy, credit crunch and rising fuel prices, I suppose they are either trying to rake in extra money or trying to discourage more people from driving? People will always have to pay whatever they charge anyway so in a way it is a good way to make extra pennies but it just seems so wrong to me. Especially when the money people pay for their license, road tax etc. doesn't seem to be doing anything to improve our roads :nope:.

It isn't that shocking really but I'm in the right mood for complaining. I'm using it as an outlet.
Yes, things are getting more and more expensive. Such is life.
Reply 2
Wait till you get an adult passport for the first time! Expensive living
Reply 3
Gemz87
Wait till you get an adult passport for the first time! Expensive living

That one I've already cracked lol but I was warned before hand at just how much I was going to have to fork out. With this, no one had bothered to tell me that they were increasing the fees. Bloody economy.
Don't drive then :confused:

Could do with less people on the road tbh
Reply 5
When you look at:

>Prices of lessons
>Theory Test
>Driving Test

It isnt cheap! Luckily i suffer from only child syndrome which helps :P
ermm how much IS a licence then?
Tell me about it! It's 50 pound at the moment. I'm finally ready to apply but now need to wait for the cash haha!
Yes but for £400 its a bargain for 40 years of driving!

If you aren't an idiot for getting caught speeding etc.
Reply 9
Driving is a privilege and not a right.
Beccydoodaa
Perhaps I've missed something but last time I looked at applying it was £38. This was in Feburary last year and I wish to God I hadn't put it off for another year now. Theives! I can remember when a can of coke was 50p and when penny sweets actually cost a penny.

With the failing economy, credit crunch and rising fuel prices, I suppose they are either trying to rake in extra money or trying to discourage more people from driving? People will always have to pay whatever they charge anyway so in a way it is a good way to make extra pennies but it just seems so wrong to me. Especially when the money people pay for their license, road tax etc. doesn't seem to be doing anything to improve our roads :nope:.

It isn't that shocking really but I'm in the right mood for complaining. I'm using it as an outlet.
If you're cracking up at the price of a provisional, I wouldn't bother buying one. Just look at how much it costs to run a car, tax, insurance, petrol, finance, services, MOTs. You'll realise how lightly you got of with paying £50 when you understand how much it actually costs to run a car. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, just getting you to look at the bigger picture.:smile:

For what it's worth aswell, I think the cost of running a car in this country is a bit of a rip off. We still do it though, the convenience still outweighs the cost in most cases.
Reply 11
sarforaz
Driving is a privilege and not a right.

I agree with you. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who can afford it who completely do not deserve to drive as they see it as a right and not a privilege (like one of my house mates for one).

I do understand that cars are not cheap business, I am just so surprised at such a dramatic rise in the fee for a license. Petrol costs and insurance you hear about going up and up every day. The fee they make you pay just to be able to get the card that enables you to learn and spent even more of your money on lessons, tax etc. is kept quiet. I honestly didn't realise I was going to have to pay £50 until yesterday, I was expecting to many have to pay between £40-48.

Having just paid for my passport last year, I should ahve known better!
Reply 12
I paid £45 last year, granted, I only bought it for consumption of alcohol. Practically every club in my town will only accept licences or passports.

It has been going up about £5 a year for the last few years I think.
Reply 13
Gary10k
When you look at:

>Prices of lessons
>Theory Test
>Driving Test

It isnt cheap! Luckily i suffer from only child syndrome which helps :P

me also... was being tought by my mum's partner... now they have baby, driving is a lesser priority

and my dad "can't afford" to put me on his insurance (or cant be bothered to find a better insurance company)
Reply 14
I was pretty miffed last year at having to pay £43 for it when it was £38 a few months before. It was particularly frustrating as I only bought it as a form of ID (I don't have a recent passport or anything else that would be valid for certain), and ironically, I don't really get ID'D that much anymore anyway.

Moreover, out of the sheer cost of buying a car, insurance, maintenance etc combined with the relatively high cost of postgraduate study, I can't see myself driving until I'm probably close to 30 anyway. I have no idea how people can afford both anyway (unless their parents buy them a car, as seems to be the case with most people I know >_>).

I enjoy walking anyway. Thus paying £43 just to prove my age was a bitter pill.
Reply 15
Beccydoodaa
I can remember when a can of coke was 50p

i remember when my dad was shocked it cost as much as 50p!

Latest

Trending

Trending