Should I take a level maths if I want to study physics at university

Watch
Dan Leigh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m struggling to decide whether or not I should pick maths, I was predicted around a grade 6-7 in maths at gcse but an 8 in physics. I want to study astrophysics at university but I think I need maths to get in on that course... what do I do?
15Characters...
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dan Leigh)
I’m struggling to decide whether or not I should pick maths, I was predicted around a grade 6-7 in maths at gcse but an 8 in physics. I want to study astrophysics at university but I think I need maths to get in on that course... what do I do?
You will generally need A Level maths to study physics at most universities. Furthermore university level physics - including astrophysics - will be very maths heavy and contain mathematical methods modules.
IQuitTSR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Math is essential. You should even consider taking further math!
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've just chosen a few RG unis at random and googled their Physics entry requirements which are typically A*AA with at least an A in either Maths or Physics, which is what I would expect.

As the other posters have said, a typical Physics degree (and especially an Astrophysics module) is going to be pretty maths heavy and involve concepts such as calculus that aren't covered in GCSE.

Can you put in some extra effort in Maths to try to improve your grade or talk to your teacher about extra support?
frenchie_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Definitely. Most universities require an ALevel in maths as well as physics to get into astrophysics.
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've yet to see a physics course that has a higher required grade for physics than maths. Physics isn't even a required A Level for most of them. A Level physics is completely unrepresentative of degree-level physics. Especially astrophysics which is typically more mathematical...
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As has been pointed out by others, physics (especially astrophysics) is maths-heavy. You should consider whether you really want to study physics at uni if you don't want to study maths now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (9)
31.03%
Less motivated (20)
68.97%

Watched Threads