BBC commits £100m to tackling diversity

Watch
AT06
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53135022

“The BBC has set itself a mandatory target - 20% of off-screen talent must come from under-represented groups.That includes those with a disability or from a BAME or disadvantaged socio-economic background.

It also pledged to ensure 50% of on-air roles will go to women by 2020, with targets of 15% for black, Asian and minority ethnic groups [BAME], 8% for disabled people and 8% for LGBT staff.

Lastly it will increase the proportion of leadership roles filled by women from 44% to 50% by next year, and raise the share of such senior roles held by BAME staff from 11.5% to 15%”

What do people think of this? Is this positive discrimination? Does this mean that a white straight male with more experience, better qualifications, or arguably more talent, could be refused the job because the BBC need to meet some arbitrary quota?

Should talent and skill come before the colour of your skin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability?
Last edited by AT06; 2 weeks ago
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AT06)
What do people think of this? Is this positive discrimination? Does this mean that a white straight male with more experience, better qualifications, or arguably more talent, could be refused the job because the BBC need to meet some arbitrary quota?
The BBC is firmly in the hands of a metropolitan brigade of self-appointed social-engineers playing with our money and the answer is Yes. They don't need to meet any quotas, they want to and their equality and race tsars are on as much as the PM. They have to do something with their time.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
More reasons to defund the BBC. I am absolutely sick of death of race, gender whatever it may be getting pulled in to who is hired for a job. It literally makes me so angry. The best person should be hired for a job. It should not be a case of we’ll have 50% of women, or we’ll have 50% of men. This, this right here is what gets people’s backs up. Absolutely ****ing pathetic.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So much for hiring based on talent :lol:

With that being said, shouldnt matter very much, merely self identify as a gay, black, crippled, mentally unwell poor person and they'll be bowing down before your oppressed might to hire you
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe we're panicking, they've just appointed the 17th white bloke in a row as their new DG. Spent an untold number of licences on a consultancy firm to pretend it was open to tender and then promoted Tim Davies from within. It's becoming absolutely grotesque and turned into a political movement like BLM or XR by the same type of people.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As if any of you lot actually pay the license fee in the first place.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
As if any of you lot actually pay the license fee in the first place.
I always wondered who the loons who post here were...

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.09.39.png
Views: 24
Size:  387.3 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.07.49.png
Views: 27
Size:  173.4 KB
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I always wondered who the loons who post here were...

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.09.39.png
Views: 24
Size:  387.3 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.07.49.png
Views: 27
Size:  173.4 KB
Tbh i always found these comments are sufficient reason to keep the license fee. Say what you want about the BBC and its programming but these comments are absolute comedy gold!
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AT06)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53135022

“The BBC has set itself a mandatory target - 20% of off-screen talent must come from under-represented groups.That includes those with a disability or from a BAME or disadvantaged socio-economic background.

It also pledged to ensure 50% of on-air roles will go to women by 2020, with targets of 15% for black, Asian and minority ethnic groups [BAME], 8% for disabled people and 8% for LGBT staff.

Lastly it will increase the proportion of leadership roles filled by women from 44% to 50% by next year, and raise the share of such senior roles held by BAME staff from 11.5% to 15%”

Should talent and skill come before the colour of your skin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability?
About time the BBC did something to increase representation in more senior roles especially!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Tbh i always found these comments are sufficient reason to keep the license fee. Say what you want about the BBC and its programming but these comments are absolute comedy gold!
:laugh: do you do that too? For me, reading the comments section of the Express is how I imagine ladies and gentlemen felt when going to see a chimp's tea party: a peculiar mixture of amusement and revulsion.

(Original post by z-hog)
Off-topic, stop spamming this thread! Mods!
Report it then. I'm sure the CT will be happy to hear from you.
Last edited by Reality Check; 2 weeks ago
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
More reasons to defund the BBC. I am absolutely sick of death of race, gender whatever it may be getting pulled in to who is hired for a job. It literally makes me so angry. The best person should be hired for a job. It should not be a case of we’ll have 50% of women, or we’ll have 50% of men. This, this right here is what gets people’s backs up. Absolutely ****ing pathetic.
I agree it should be who’s best at their job. I’m on the fence about the way they’re tackling equality.
Last edited by Moonbow; 2 weeks ago
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
You seem terrified at the thought of marginalised people having the same opportunities as you do!
Last edited by epicnm; 2 weeks ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
8% LGBT? That's ridiculous, considering only about 2% of the population is LGBT.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How does money help to increase social diversity within the BBC?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by epicnm)
You seem terrified at the though of marginalised people having the same opportunities as you do!
They're not 'opportunities' - it's a liberal elite leftist conspiracy you see, to kick white people out of their jobs and replace them with brown people with funny names you can't say. The Express article goes into more detail, that being a wholly reliable source.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
8% LGBT? That's ridiculous, considering only about 2% of the population is LGBT.
One of my friends tells me that a huge proportion of men on gay dating apps are married/closeted. You’re fooling yourself if you think it’s 2%.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Off-topic, stop spamming this thread! Mods!
Oh look - I found you some on-topic comment from the very same source. Which one was you? I'm guessing it was J. Cooper.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.25.21.png
Views: 17
Size:  336.1 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.25.14.png
Views: 19
Size:  136.9 KB
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Oh look - I found you some on-topic comment from the very same source. Which one was you? I'm guessing it was J. Cooper.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.25.21.png
Views: 17
Size:  336.1 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.25.14.png
Views: 19
Size:  136.9 KB
PRSOM 🤣
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
One of my friends tells me that a huge proportion of men on gay dating apps are married/closeted. You’re fooling yourself if you think it’s 2%.
2% of the population identifies as LGBT. If they won't disclose it in an anonymous survey, they aren't likely to tell their employers.

Also, your friend's subjective assessment of male gay dating apps is not a super reliable source of information.
Last edited by Theloniouss; 2 weeks ago
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
How does money help to increase social diversity within the BBC?
Unsure re: the other minorities, but for disability it would be needed for various reasons - training, adaptation of the work place, support plans for people with disability, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.16%
Confident (65)
13.6%
Indifferent (67)
14.02%
Unsure (119)
24.9%
Worried (188)
39.33%

Watched Threads