Watch
carlskep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Oppression Olympics in full swing.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/ready-...acial-spectrum

“Latinos are black … We have to have conversations around ‘colorism,’ and we have to have conversations around the African and indigenous roots from which we come and how that’s reflected in systems of power.” Ocasio-Cortez
rxyaltyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
wow apparently im black now lmao
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To use the woke line of reasoning, this is a display of Brown Fragility.

The reason that black Latin Americans exist is the same for black Americans: enslaved and brought over by Europeans.

Had AOC been of Anglo American heritage, she'd make the argument that "Americans are black!" which is as cynically ignorant as what's she's claiming: that the inhabitants of Spanish and Portuguese colonist descent are black.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's funny. When Trayvon Martin was killed by Hispanic George Zimmerman he was described in the MSM as as a white Hispanic.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What this looks like to me is AOC suddenly discovering that playing the race card has stopped working for her and trying to make it work again by throwing buzzwords at it.

As for her argument about ”black and indigenous roots”, mestizo ≠ indigenous (for the same reason that mixed-race ≠ black), and Latinos of African descent do exist but don't make up anywhere near a majority of Latinos (there was never a large demand for African slaves in the Spanish colonies because the Spanish conquistadors preferred to use the local Indians as slaves). Then again, expecting AOC to come up with a sensible interpretation of history anything is a bit much. Let me know when she takes Ben Shapiro up on his offer of a debate and proves the case for eco-*******s, Marxism and anti-Semitism the Green New Deal. Then I'll take whatever she says seriously.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think that trivialising Latin-American sociology by lumping them in with African-Americans improves anything.
Last edited by Daveological; 2 weeks ago
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daveological)
Latinx
It's Latino. If you are referring to a mixed-sex group in Spanish you use the masculine form, which is Latino. Please don't try and make the Spanish language gender neutral, because grammatical gender is a part of the language.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
It's Latino. If you are referring to a mixed-sex group in Spanish you use the masculine form, which is Latino. Please don't try and make the Spanish language gender neutral, because grammatical gender is a part of the language.
Edited.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Typical... Latinos believe they're superior to black people... But your minorities too in most developed nations ... 😂 😂 Just because your half a shader lighter your not white... And hardly perform any better in societal statistics of achievement.
i never said anything bad wtf i was just joking
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Edited.
Cheers. Sorry, it is something that winds me up a bit.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
H"on....what about us!"
Feeling left out by the worldwide BLM wave she has seen black folks getting it and now
she wants some of that sweet sweet race victimolgy juice.😁
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To be Latino you have to grow up in South America. So Latinos can be any skin colour. This pretty much applies to every country in the world.
Last edited by Other_Owl; 2 weeks ago
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
To be Latino you have to grow up in South America. So Latinos can be any skin colour. This pretty much applies to every country in the world.
latinos arent only south american. mexicans, dominicans, puerto ricans, costa ricans, Guatemalans, etc are latino.
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
latinos arent only south american. mexicans, dominicans, puerto ricans, costa ricans, Guatemalans, etc are latino.
(Original post by Other_Owl)
I think it would be correct to say 'Latin America', rather than 'South America'. You know, because it includes all the countries that speak languages derived from Latin(e.g. Spanish and Portuguese).
Last edited by KelsieTaylor; 2 weeks ago
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
It's a generic summary.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
I think it would be correct to say 'Latin America', rather than 'South America'. You know, because it includes all the countries that speak languages derived from Latin(so Spanish, Portuguese, French and Dutch).
People in the Dutch Carribean have some Latino heritage, but they are not really considered Latin American territories.
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People in the Dutch Carribean have some Latino heritage, but they are not really considered Latin American territories.
Oh okay:h: Thank you for correcting me
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure the French Carribean territories count as Latin America myself. Suriname, French Guiana, Guyana (the ex-British colony) and the Dutch/French islands are far more culturally Carribean than Latin American.

The main difference is that Carribean culture is more influenced by African culture due to (as I said upthread) the fact that the British, French and Dutch empires took slaves from Africa, whereas the Spanish Empire* took slaves from the indigenous populations it conquered. There are far more people in Jamaica or Guadaloupe that have African ancestry than there are in Mexico.

* with some exceptions such as Cuba and the Dominican Republic
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I'm not sure the French Carribean territories count as Latin America myself. Suriname, French Guiana, Guyana (the ex-British colony) and the Dutch/French islands are far more culturally Carribean than Latin American.

The main difference is that Carribean culture is more influenced by African culture due to (as I said upthread) the fact that the British, French and Dutch empires took slaves from Africa, whereas the Spanish Empire* took slaves from the indigenous populations it conquered. There are far more people in Jamaica or Guadaloupe that have African ancestry than there are in Mexico.

* with some exceptions such as Cuba and the Dominican Republic
I had a feeling that was the case. Add to that Quebec for obvious reasons.
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My reaction to the title: "I'm sorry...what?"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.04%
Confident (65)
13.4%
Indifferent (69)
14.23%
Unsure (120)
24.74%
Worried (192)
39.59%

Watched Threads