Will I lose my place at uni because of ecf?

Watch
Bananananannana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m currently doing a foundation year in engineering and have an offer from the university of Bath for first year. I need to get 70% overall, plus 70% in maths.
I have completed all the exams except for one module in which I had an ecf. I will be sitting this exam in the deferral period (end of July). I have received provisional results for all the other modules and have fulfilled the entry requirements. If I don’t receive my final grades before the 31st of august due to the deferral exam being marked late, will I lose my place? Can I at least send the provisional marks??
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bananananannana)
I’m currently doing a foundation year in engineering and have an offer from the university of Bath for first year. I need to get 70% overall, plus 70% in maths.
I have completed all the exams except for one module in which I had an ecf. I will be sitting this exam in the deferral period (end of July). I have received provisional results for all the other modules and have fulfilled the entry requirements. If I don’t receive my final grades before the 31st of august due to the deferral exam being marked late, will I lose my place? Can I at least send the provisional marks??
Maybe ask in the Bath forum, not the Cambridge forum?
Ruveen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, you could email the admissions team ([email protected]) and ask them directly, they're usually very understanding and most probably will be able to make an arrangement with you. They might be a bit swamped with emails because of the pandemic but they will try their best to get back to you quickly.]

Hope that helps!
Ruveen,
2nd Year Architecture Student,
University of Bath
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ruveen)
Hi, you could email the admissions team ([email protected]) and ask them directly, they're usually very understanding and most probably will be able to make an arrangement with you. They might be a bit swamped with emails because of the pandemic but they will try their best to get back to you quickly.]

Hope that helps!
Ruveen,
2nd Year Architecture Student,
University of Bath
Hi there,

I am an official university ambassador, so hopefully I can help

If you have extenuating circumstances, then they take this into account when considering your place. As coronavirus has also caused a massive disruption, this will also be taken into account. Taking into account that you have extenuating circumstances, along with the disturbance of coronavirus on top of that, I am doubtful that you would lose your place. Universities have been taking provisional/predicted grades into account for A-Level students and so on, so they will most likely be doing the same for foundation year students. They are called extenuating circumstances for a reason, so I don't see why the university would penalise you by taking away your place for this.

I would recommend looking at this webpage, as it is the official university webpage for coronavirus/applicant FAQs so should answer most of your questions. I would advise against emailing admissions where possible, as they are currently fairly unresponsive at the moment as (due to working from home/furlough) they are unable to answer many calls, and have a huge backlog of emails. It seems that most people trying to contact admissions have been getting very slow responses. Instead I would suggest emailing a department specific contact, for example if you've been emailed by a member of staff from the engineering department, try emailing them. Hopefully they can answer your question, or they can directly forward you to someone in admissions who can help. If you have an offer for the mechanical engineering course, then you can email [email protected] as that is the course specific email. If you have an offer for a different engineering course, please let me know and I'll find the correct email for you

All in all, based on the information the university has given in their FAQ, they are taking provisional results into account, and they are being slightly more lenient with extenuating circumstances due to coronavirus. You can email admissions, but I'd suggest emailing the specific department first as you'll likely receive a far faster response. I'd suggest emailing the department for your course, explaining the situation in detail (i.e. provide dates, explain you've done all but one exam, provide the provisional results and if possible provide results for the exams you already sat) as then they have all the info needed to answer your query.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year Natural Sciences student
Last edited by University of Bath; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise