Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I start 6th Form, I can either do Critical Thinking or an AS Level in History of Art. I will also be entered into the General Studies exam without having studied the subject.
    My question is would it be better to do c.t or h.o.a. Which would be most useful to me? (I am doing AS art also)
    Thankyou, any comments would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    depends what you want to do at uni, for example i did critical thinking as it's useful for law (although how much i'm not sure lol ssoon find out), what are your other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    depends what you want to do at uni, for example i did critical thinking as it's useful for law (although how much i'm not sure lol ssoon find out), what are your other subjects?
    french, geography and religion or politics. I'm thinking of doing a geography degree, but I'm not entirely sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aROOba)
    I will also be entered into the General Studies exam without having studied the subject.
    I'm sure that's a bad idea, or just a sign of the ridiculousness of General Studies A-level...

I did AS Critical Thinking, and i.m.o unless your planning to do Law at uni, your better off spending your time and effort on History of Art which you will find more rewarding.

Bear in mind History of Art will be harder and require more work compared to Critical Thinking (which isn't a push over but it requires less work e.g. only 2 units, workload less demanding and intellectually challenging)

Then again they have changed the syllabus this year from Sep. 2008, so no one really knows whether the new AS Critical Thinking will be more interesting or just a tweak on the same old content.

ReputationRep:
    The AS will probably be more useful to you but it will also mean a lot more work. It depends if you think you can handle it. I did 5 AS's and shouldn't have - I didn't have enough free time and just didn't put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 AS's, although one of those was General Studies, and another, Critical Thinking. Some people did 5 AS subjects as well as those two, which I found unnecessary since the amount of subjects I took is pretty standard and never hindered me in any way. Go for whichever one you would prefer studying, but don't take on too much either unless you genuinely think you can cope with the workload.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't recommend critical thinking, it isn't really as respected as other AS subjects. I took critical thinking AS this year at the same time as my GCSEs, and have been told by my college not to bother taking the A Level because in some universities, it won't count as part of whatever conditional offers you may receive. They told me to take psychology instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DalekLover)
    I really don't recommend critical thinking, it isn't really as respected as other AS subjects. I took critical thinking AS this year at the same time as my GCSEs, and have been told by my college not to bother taking the A Level because in some universities, it won't count as part of whatever conditional offers you may receive. They told me to take psychology instead!
    It's true that there isn't any point in taking it as a full A level, since some universities for certain courses won't consider it. But usually it's fine up to AS.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found critical thinking very interesting (how sad) and wasn't too much of a workload (i.e one week's revision) but then again we started doing practice papers from january! I would recommend it

ReputationRep:
    i also found critical thinking interesting lol no one else in my year did! it helps if you like to argue haha

ReputationRep:
    History of Art would make you stand out more - critical thinking is a compulsory subject for many people, so many people have the qualification. History of Art would give you a more unique qualification - could be an advantage or a disadvantage.

Some people at my school never went to the critical thinking lesson yet sat the exam and did well - perhaps this could be an option? (It would be hard though )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    i also found critical thinking interesting lol no one else in my year did! it helps if you like to argue haha
    I was the only one in my year who actually done the exam :rolleyes: I really enjoyed it

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.