The Student Room Group

Can you leave with a 2:2 overall if you achieve a 2:1 or above in all modules?

This isn't something I'm interested in for my own circumstances, but I'm just curious in general, if someone has got at least a 2:1 or a first in all of their university modules, is there a chance that they could leave with a 2:2 overall?
I shouldn't think so. Your final classification tends to be some sort of average of the units you have done (weighted or not) therefore if you average above a 2:1 there isn't any way you can do worse than that.
No
Original post by vicvic38
I shouldn't think so. Your final classification tends to be some sort of average of the units you have done (weighted or not) therefore if you average above a 2:1 there isn't any way you can do worse than that.

Thanks. I would have loved a first and tried my hardest for one, but I don't think it will happen. I suppose if it was easy everyone would get it.
Ehh?? Obviously the answer is no, it's like asking if someone who gets A*s in every exam can somehow still end up with a C?? Clearly not...
Original post by theheavens
This isn't something I'm interested in for my own circumstances, but I'm just curious in general, if someone has got at least a 2:1 or a first in all of their university modules, is there a chance that they could leave with a 2:2 overall?

Umm, how could that possibly happen? If you're asking the question, it must mean that you haven't ruled it out entirely. So If i received higher than a 2ii in each module as a confirmed result which goes to make up my overall result, how is it mathematically possible for me to end up with a lower overall result? It's not.

The only possible way this could happen is if there had been some procedural error, e.g. the wrong modules were taken, or there were missing credits, in which case progression would be likely to be affected and the degree not able to be conferred anyway. Another remote possibility would be that plagiarism was detected late in the day on something like a dissertation which resulted in a loss of marks or a capped pass: were someone only just performing at the 2i level (60), a significant re-mark downwards in a component weighted as heavily as a dissertation usually is could result in the candidate going down to a 2ii overall.

Apart from these very outlandish possibilities, it's not a concern. :smile:
No. There are situations at some unis where you can get an average mark of 60%+ but not get a 2.1, normally if you do badly in final year or your dissertation, but it would be impossible for someone who had only 2.1+ grades to get a 2.2.
Original post by theheavens

No that's not how maths or degree classifications work. You can't get lower than the sum of your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest