Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so you all probably know about that girl who's leaving for New York who I have a pseudo-crush on. Long story short, there's this girl who I kind of like who I've known for two years now. She's leaving for NY for at least 2 years in a few days to go to design school. BTW we both go to school in LA but both are originally from NorCal. During the two years I knew her, I kind of took her presence for granted and didn't really get friendly with her or close to her. In fact, there were several times when, in an attempt to seem witty or garner her sympathy, I came off as an *******.

Well, I had a few chances to chat with her and it turns out we're cool. She's not mad at me. After much deliberation and trepidation, I plucked up the courage to finally call her and ask if she wanted to do something. I went to dinner with her and a friend and I got her AIM sn, which she was unwilling to give me earlier when I was being an *******. In addition, she told me that she kept a book that I gave her as a gift and even read a message I wrote to her inside. So...there's that.

But I want more. I mean, we're technically friends, but here's what pisses me off. There are these three girls who were first-years during her last year. They were on her staff on the newspaper staff and started this whole deal where they act like ducklings and call her their "mama duck" and basically shower her with flattery and adulation. She loves it, of course, and constantly chats with them online.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to get closer to her even though we're separated by 2000 miles, meaning by phone, FB, and AIM. So how do I do this? I mean, how do I make her think of me the same way she thinks of her "duckings"?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, you want a relationship, yet want to be one of her friendly co-worker "ducklings"? Clarification please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I'm confused, you want a relationship, yet want to be one of her friendly co-worker "ducklings"? Clarification please
    I want to be "better" friends with her, closer as a friend. I don't actually want to be one of those "ducklings", but I want her to actually remember me and miss me. I want to be able to carry on meaningful and deep and memorable conversations with her on FB, AIM, and over the phone. But how? I get so nervous. I don't know what to say! That's where I need help. I understand that I'll have to take the initiative to initiate the conversations, but I still need help on what to do after that.

ReputationRep:
    Humour - I find my best memories are with people who made me do irrational and crazy things. Do you share her sense of humour? Just spark up a conversation I guess. When she responds question her more, make it seem like you're actually listening to her responses. Be a little controversial? I don't know, I don't know what she's like! lol

That's all the ideas I have at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Humour - I find my best memories are with people who made me do irrational and crazy things. Do you share her sense of humour? Just spark up a conversation I guess. When she responds question her more, make it seem like you're actually listening to her responses. Be a little controversial? I don't know, I don't know what she's like! lol

That's all the ideas I have at the moment.
    Thanks. Anyone else? I'd LOVE as much input as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I'm thinking of calling her just to chat. Do you think that will add "fuel" to my friendship with her? I mean, how can I actually make her enjoy the conversation?

And I have another question. You all know that a lot of my friends don't bother to contact me. If she doesn't contact me, should I just break off my friendship with her? I really don't want to. I suppose you could call it unrequited friendship.

I guess it's a really high-pressure situation. I have to leave an impression on her and make her actually remember me. I don't expect her to see me the same way she sees her very close high school friends, but I think I at least deserve the same amount of consideration as those "ducklings" who have only known her for a year.

Should I try just telling her everything I've written these last few posts? I mean, I already sort of mentioned this to her when I went with her to dinner.

I just REALLY need some help. Please.

ReputationRep:
    Send her the URL of this thread

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

I just don't want to seem like some creepy, clingy loser. I want to seem cool and leave an impression, but I just wish I knew how.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.