The Student Room Group

Second degree funding, exempt subjects.

I have recently decided to go back to university in order to move up within my area of work and to learn more.

I already have a degree, and will be studying for another degree on the same level. I realise that with recent changes funding from the student finance is not available.

I wish to study landscape architecture and have found out this may be on the list of exempt subjects. Can anyone confirm this? And will this be a grant with living costs or just one of the two?

Thanks.

This is what i have found:

Source:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article2409947.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk
“We want to free up more money to raise skills and get more people to a degree level,” he said. Mr Rammell added that certain degree subjects important to the economy would be exempted from the cuts. These are medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, architecture, landscape architecture, landscape management, town planning, teaching, social work and the health professions.
Reply 1
also another source.

Source: (page 28)
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmdius/187/187.pdf

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk
Loans for living costs are only available for students studying designated courses: social work, initial teacher training, medicine, veterinary surgeon, architect, landscape architect, landscape designer, landscape manager, town planner or town and country planner. There are also exemptions for students on courses leading to qualification to practise as a nurse, midwife, social worker or in other related healthcare.
Reply 2
quick bump and what i missed out before was, will i get it? i currently have had 4 years student loan from the previous degree.
Reply 3
Why don't you try phoning them and asking?
Reply 4
yes i will be tomorrow, but seen as its bank holiday weekend they are shut, just thought someone might have an answer here to any part of the question.
Reply 5
You don't get second degree funding.
Reply 6
Titch89
You don't get second degree funding.

Yes you do, if it's one of the exempted subjects (which include landscape and land management degrees as well as subjects such as Islamic studies and medicine).

So, to the OP, yes I think so. It would be best to phone your LEA and check, however.
Reply 7
River85
Yes you do, if it's one of the exempted subjects (which include landscape and land management degrees as well as subjects such as Islamic studies and medicine).

So, to the OP, yes I think so. It would be best to phone your LEA and check, however.

Thanks for the reply, yes i did phone. Landscape architecture as a second degree is eligable for a loan. I will get a loan for living costs but nothing for the tuition fees.
Reply 8
River85

Islamic studies? Is this all religous courses? Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: I just rang Student Loans who said that Islamic studies wouldn't be funded. If anyone has had this funded as a 2nd degree I would be interested in hearing from them.
Reply 9
ukclean

Edit: I just rang Student Loans who said that Islamic studies wouldn't be funded. If anyone has had this funded as a 2nd degree I would be interested in hearing from them.

It was originally the case that Islamic Studies was exempt from EQL fees. It was amongst a list of subject, said to be economically or culturally important, and therefore "vulnerable".

In 2007 this list of vulnerable subjects was highlighted. It was accepted in 2008 and certain other changes made. Eg. a student who receives Disabilied Students Allowance is also exempt from ELQ fees regardess of the subject he or she intends to study.

This thread you've bumped is originally from 2008 and at that time Islamic Studies was expempt as far as I'm aware. But this isn't to be read as "all religious courses".

I'm not 100% certain if it still is. But I haven't read or heard anything to suggest it isn't. All of the other courses (certainly medical and health courses as well as land based studies)
Reply 10
River85
It was originally the case that Islamic Studies was exempt from EQL fees. It was amongst a list of subject, said to be economically or culturally important, and therefore "vulnerable".

In 2007 this list of vulnerable subjects was highlighted. It was accepted in 2008 and certain other changes made. Eg. a student who receives Disabilied Students Allowance is also exempt from ELQ fees regardess of the subject he or she intends to study.

This thread you've bumped is originally from 2008 and at that time Islamic Studies was expempt as far as I'm aware. But this isn't to be read as "all religious courses".

I'm not 100% certain if it still is. But I haven't read or heard anything to suggest it isn't. All of the other courses (certainly medical and health courses as well as land based studies)

Thanks for this information River85; to be frank I am not convinced that all staff are fully versed on what is allowed and what isn't and I am more convinced by what you are saying (Student Loan staff have proved unhelpful - I think perhaps this is not a common query and hence they are not sure).

Do you have any links referring to a list of subjects or anything along these lines?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ukc
Reply 11
ukclean
Thanks for this information River85; to be frank I am not convinced that all staff are fully versed on what is allowed and what isn't and I am more convinced by what you are saying (Student Loan staff have proved unhelpful - I think perhaps this is not a common query and hence they are not sure).

Do you have any links referring to a list of subjects or anything along these lines?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ukc

THere's an Innovation, Universities, Science and Skills Report from 2007-2008. It outlines the vulnerable subjects and exempt degrees and makes some recommendatiosn (eg. that the government should seriously consider making all theology degrees exempt).

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmdius/187/187.pdf

pp. 26 to 27 outlined the propsed exempt degrees. The final degree (f) is Islamic Studies.

These were just the propsed exemptions I don't think engineering or maths were ever made exempt) and, even if they were originally exempt, the some might have been removed from this list. But in 2008 I'm certain some medical courses, land-based studies and Islamic studies were exempt. This sort of thing will be up for annual reviews so changes might have been made.

Try googling 'Islamic Studies exempt ELQ' or something around those lines. You'l find the occasional article referring to it.

HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England) will probably be able to provide better advice than Student Finance/Student Loans Company who probably don't really get these queries often and aren't informed about the ins and outs of the system as you said.

Specifically Alan Palmer (e-mail [email protected], tel 0117 931 7340). Found his contact details on the HEFCE website. He's the person they advise you contact about ELQ funding.

The website is here

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/learning/funding/elq/

You can find the original consultation report from 2007 here

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/hefce/2007/07_27/

I was thinking about doing a second undergrad degree myself in town and country planning or surveying (both would come under land studies). That's not going to happen now though. Too old and in debt as it is.
Reply 12
Thanks for this amazing information River85!! I will get onto them. It will be interesting to see if anything has changed.

And you're too old (or in debt)!!
Reply 13
Original post by River85

I was thinking about doing a second undergrad degree myself in town and country planning or surveying (both would come under land studies). That's not going to happen now though. Too old and in debt as it is.

Original post by ukclean
Thanks for this amazing information River85!! I will get onto them. It will be interesting to see if anything has changed.

And you're too old (or in debt)!!

Was just looking over this post, what I meant to say was 'you're never too old (or in debt)!! :colondollar:

Hahah!

In any case, Only certain subjects now available for elq funding. Islamic studies was a protected subject for a while, meaning that people who were already studying for the degree had their funding maintained. It is not however now eligible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending