Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was just wondering whether Universities were required to take you for the course originally offered if you miss your grades on results day, but then go up on a re-mark (before the 31st of august).

I ask because what I have read indicates that this is the case, however, I got a letter from my firm choice which said that if results went up on a re-mark then they would not be able to offer a place for this year.

So does anyone know the answer?

Cheers

Fat_Hampster

ReputationRep:
    they shud in that the grades you had to get have been met, i rang up my uni and they said they would, id ring them up and ask the head of admissions

Tony

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are obliged to give you the place as long as the remark is performed before a certain date. That is unless there is a specific term in their offer that allows them to rescind the offer.

ReputationRep:
    They are under a legal obligation to take you if you have met their offer before the 31st ... however if you're admins are *******s like mine are, they will try and long it out, you just have to be on their backs!!!

But yup they are and you should let them know you're grades ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    usually if you get it to them before the deadline (no idea what it is) then you have the place. if you get it after the deadline they usually give you a deferred offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Yes they are obliged to give you the place as long as the remark is performed before a certain date. That is unless there is a specific term in their offer that allows them to rescind the offer.
    Thanks, I don't think there was anything in the terms of the offer allowing them to rescind it, but I don't have the letter with me at the moment to check.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably ring them after the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hampster)
    Hey I was just wondering whether Universities were required to take you for the course originally offered if you miss your grades on results day, but then go up on a re-mark (before the 31st of august).

I ask because what I have read indicates that this is the case, however, I got a letter from my firm choice which said that if results went up on a re-mark then they would not be able to offer a place for this year.

So does anyone know the answer?

Cheers

Fat_Hampster
    The issue is that if you meet your offer by 31 August you are entitled to a place, but not necessarily for this year. It may be that your uni has had to take more insurance people than they expected, so have filled their places already. Uni departments are strongly discouraged from over-shooting their quotas, so in cases like yours deferral makes sense. If the uni has warned you up front that that this is the case, then there's probably little you can do about it in the event that a remark comes back in your favour, except decide you don't want to go there after all, and go to your insurance instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    The issue is that if you meet your offer by 31 August you are entitled to a place, but not necessarily for this year. It may be that your uni has had to take more insurance people than they expected, so have filled their places already. Uni departments are strongly discouraged from over-shooting their quotas, so in cases like yours deferral makes sense. If the uni has warned you up front that that this is the case, then there's probably little you can do about it in the event that a remark comes back in your favour, except decide you don't want to go there after all, and go to your insurance instead.

Ok, thanks for the help. That's unfortunate, but at least I know that I wont be able to go this year. Now I just need to decide whether I want a gap year or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hampster)
    Ok, thanks for the help. That's unfortunate, but at least I know that I wont be able to go this year. Now I just need to decide whether I want a gap year or not.
    Don't dismiss the idea out of hand - there are loads of useful things you can do with a gap year, earning some readies being the least of it!

ReputationRep:
    Very good question. why didn't i think of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I never realised this, it's a big relief to be honest. However, with results day on the 20th this summer, that only leaves 11 days to get the remarks done - is that enough time?
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Deipnosophist123)
    I never realised this, it's a big relief to be honest. However, with results day on the 20th this summer, that only leaves 11 days to get the remarks done - is that enough time?
    The deadline has been extended to the 2nd September this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The deadline has been extended to the 2nd September this year.
    At the risk of sounding like a sycophant, the way you and Minerva seem so up-to-date with all this information is really impressive, and incredibly useful. I literally had no idea this system existed and have been fretting about mismarking for a long time.

Just to ask one or two more questions, this system applies to 100% of universities? I'm not doubting it at all, but can I also please be linked to where it says this online? If it doesn't, fair enough, I'd just like to have a copy of the document in case something goes wrong. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deipnosophist123)
    At the risk of sounding like a sycophant, the way you and Minerva seem so up-to-date with all this information is really impressive, and incredibly useful. I literally had no idea this system existed and have been fretting about mismarking for a long time.

Just to ask one or two more questions, this system applies to 100% of universities? I'm not doubting it at all, but can I also please be linked to where it says this online? If it doesn't, fair enough, I'd just like to have a copy of the document in case something goes wrong. Thanks again!
    Do you mean the system of re-marks and meeting offer conditions? It does apply to all unis. The issue is meeting your offer conditions by the stated date, and as PQ has said this year it's 2 September rather than 31 August. The Exam Boards have a system of 'priority re-marks' for people in that situation - you have to pay a fee and request it very quickly after the results come out - with the aim of getting the outcome back in time for the deadline. If a positive result comes back after the deadline unis have been known to take people on for a deferred place but that's not an entitlement as far I'm aware.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.