The Student Room Group

Newnham College 2021

Scroll to see replies

GCSE*: 9999999887
Current A-Levels*: English Lit, Government and Politics, Economics, History
School/College Type: Grammar School
EPQ: N/A
Course applying for: Law
Why Cambridge?: Why not? Love their law course, the wide amount of choice there is in choosing modules!
Why Newnham?: It's so beautiful and right opposite the law faculty so less walking haha!

Just for fun!

Favourite food: Hmmm... not sure :frown:
Favourite colour: Purple
Any pets: Nope
Where you're from: London
Languages spoken: English & Urdu!
Has anyone been invited to interview yet? I haven’t but I have heard other colleges have started giving out invites
Original post by Smouncher
Has anyone been invited to interview yet? I haven’t but I have heard other colleges have started giving out invites

Nope! still *patiently* waiting!!!
I haven't for Chem Eng, but people have on the main Cambridge thread for Maths and History of Art
Reply 24
Hiii thought I’d join the thread! I’ve applied for HSPS at Newnham :smile:
Applying for history at newnham, currently studying history, English lit, classics and french
(edited 3 years ago)
I am applying for Philosophy, studying A-Levels in Philosophy, Spanish and Maths 😊
Hi, thought I would jump in while waiting for an interview invite...or rejections
Current A-Levels*: As an international student from Germany, we don't have a levels. My abitur exam subjects will be Advanced English, Advanced bilingual economics, computer science, german and bilingual history
School/College Type: vocational grammar school with a focus on economics
Course applying for: Archaeology
Why Cambridge?: Its the best university in the world for archaeology and I love that it offers to specialize in biological anthropology
Why Newnham?: Mainly because of the archaeology fellows and their research is pretty much in the direction of how I want to specialize.

Just for fun!

Favourite colour: wine red
Where you're from: Born in the USA, but live in Frankfurt, Germany
Languages spoken: English, German, Italien, French and Spanish
Hey! I've started getting jumpy about interviews so I thought I'd hop on this thread.

GCSEs: 998877655 (I could have done better tbh, my 5s were in maths and biology both of which I was atrocious at lol)
Current A levels: Classical Civilisation, Latin, Religious Studies, and English Literature (predicted A* A* A* A)
School type: Private
EPQ: Didn't do one, chose to keep my 4th A level instead (If I had, it would probably have been about the Catiline Conspiracy or something because Cicero's a fittie x)

Course applied for: Classics
Why Cambridge?: The town is beautiful, and didn't feel as intimidating and touristy as Oxford. My grandparents and my aunt only live around half an hour away, which meant I went in a lot of day trips there when I was little. Besides, Classics at Cambridge just has such a nice ring to it
Why Newnham?: It reminds me of my aunt's house and Mary Beard is there :heart: Plus, it's right on top of the Classics faculty so I can oversleep

Favourite food: Anything involving pasta
Favourite colour: Either pink or green, depending on how I feel that day
Pets: Used to have a cat, but she died in like 2012. I really want another one
Where I'm from: Born in London, but grew up in the Cotswolds
Languages spoken: English and some rudimentary French from GCSE
Favourite musician: I can't pick a single favourite, but my top 5 (at the moment) are The Fratellis, The Darkness, The Beatles, David Bowie, and Siouxsie and the Banshees
Fun fact: I have watched Peep Show 14 times
Just got an interview invitation! 😊
Reply 30
Just got an interview invitation! 😊

Me too what course did you get it for?
Just got an interview for geography !!!!! :smile:
Original post by Hafsa.r
Me too what course did you get it for?

Philosophy, you?
Reply 33
Philosophy, you?

HSPS :smile:
Reply 34
Hi, I just got an interview invite for HoA and thought I'd introduce myself here too: )

Being a mature student I've been through the admission process before (twice, dunno how that happened), but I swear each time it just gets scarier.
Just got an interview invite for Newnham so I thought I'd hop on this thread:h:

GCSE*: 9999999997D*B
Current A-Levels*: Geography, English Lit, Art
School/College Type: state school I think? (post 16)
EPQ: Geography related
Course applying for: Geography
Why Cambridge?: Visited both Cambridge and Oxford and Cambridge deffo seems more down to earth and inclusive. Love the city, slightly closer to home, and has more positive vibes.
Why Newnham?: Visited Newnham with the Access Project and straight away loved the place. Beautiful architecture, massive gardens, has a gym, lots of clubs (deffo art). The students I spoke to were so nice and welcoming too.

Favourite food: Cheesecake:tongue:
Favourite colour: Burgundy
Any pets: 3 dogs
Where you're from: Notts
Languages spoken: English
Favourite music/ artist: anything pop-punk/ alternative (atm in love with ADTR)
Fun fact about yourself: I'm pretty boring but I guess a fun fact is that I would love to travel to NZ

Really stressing about the interviews and kinda bummed they are online so we can't interact with other interviewees but lets all hope for the best and hopefully (*crosses fingers*) we get in!:h:
Has anyone applied for Land Economy?
I've applied for HSPS as well! do you know if you've got an interview yet?

Original post by Hafsa.r
HSPS :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Ukuelequeen
I've applied for HSPS as well! do you know if you've got an interview yet?

Yep, I got an interview today this morning
Potential stupid question here but I've never seen it before: what is the pre-interview exercise? I have it scheduled on my interview timetable but that's the first I've heard of it

Quick Reply

Latest