Depressed about my university rankings

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
After checking out the university league table to see where my uni is currently ranked I was pretty shocked and surprised on how it low it was , considering i've been having a good time at said uni all year around.

Its gotten pretty bad because I feel like people will look down on me because of my uni's ranking (i'm studying biomed science at this uni)

Should I be paying much attention to this or should I look for a uni higher up the ranking.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I advise you to stop looking at the rankings. It's a pointless waste of energy that could be put to better use and not bring your mood down in the process.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
I advise you to stop looking at the rankings. It's a pointless waste of energy that could be put to better use and not bring your mood down in the process.
that feelings gonna be on my mind for quite a while now , my anxiety and depression is already as bad as it is rn
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
After checking out the university league table to see where my uni is currently ranked I was pretty shocked and surprised on how it low it was , considering i've been having a good time at said uni all year around.

Its gotten pretty bad because I feel like people will look down on me because of my uni's ranking (i'm studying biomed science at this uni)

Should I be paying much attention to this or should I look for a uni higher up the ranking.
I know how you feel. Rankings always change though, although people don't care about my uni it did win Uni of the Year a couple of times recently, however that impression doesn't always last anyway. You don't need to justify it to people as long as you got a great experience!
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
that feelings gonna be on my mind for quite a while now , my anxiety and depression is already as bad as it is rn
Again. still pointless. Rankings are subjective anyway. If you have anxiety and depression work with your GP in improving your mood and managing your anxiety.
Anonymous #1
I know how you feel. Rankings always change though, although people don't care about my uni it did win Uni of the Year a couple of times recently, however that impression doesn't always last anyway. You don't need to justify it to people as long as you got a great experience!
mines past ranking 100 , that's how bad it is
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Rankings are mostly pointless, I wouldn't focus so much on them. You said you're enjoying your course and that's all that matters.
Anonymous #1
Again. still pointless. Rankings are subjective anyway. If you have anxiety and depression work with your GP in improving your mood and managing your anxiety.
embarrassing as it is i'm kind of afraid to go , mainly because if my parents find out they will give me the usual lecture of "you're overeacting" and "its probably those dam video games making you lazy"
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
embarrassing as it is i'm kind of afraid to go , mainly because if my parents find out they will give me the usual lecture of "you're overeacting" and "its probably those dam video games making you lazy"
How would they know though unless you told them? As you're at university, I'm assuming you're an adult, you have the right to go without their input anyway.
jackien1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
don't let them find out then, surely you have privacy at home?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Airmed)
Rankings are mostly pointless, I wouldn't focus so much on them. You said you're enjoying your course and that's all that matters.
I think my issue is i worry what other people think when it comes to my academic record , probably odes not help that my mom and her family all like to brag about their children
username5314622
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Rankings are subjective like me saying a football player “is best in the world”, uni ranking mean little like that. As long as you are enjoying your course - that’s all that matters
Anonymous #1
How would they know though unless you told them? As you're at university, I'm assuming you're an adult, you have the right to go without their input anyway.
(Original post by jackien1)
don't let them find out then, surely you have privacy at home?
I had to move back in with them since the uni shut down due to corona , I also don't have a license yet because i'd had to save up for lessons and a car. So they'd probably get an idea (they're also close with my gp and nosy so they'll find out sooner or later)
JockstrapAttack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Get a grip and stop focusing on arbitrary, subjective league table rankings.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I had to move back in with them since the uni shut down due to corona , I also don't have a license yet because i'd had to save up for lessons and a car. So they'd probably get an idea (they're also close with my gp and nosy so they'll find out sooner or later)
Well, your GP can't breach confidentiality unless it's due to safety concerns for you (aka they want to section you). Seek help, a lot of this can be done via phone or online nowadays anyway, you wouldn't be going there in person at the minute due to the pandemic, but computerised CBT was a thing pre-pandemic too.
jackien1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You can't walk or get public transport?

Secondly it's illegal for your GP to tell them (pretty sure).

If you want to wallow then face up to it and admit it, don't just make stupid excuses as to why you "can't" do things.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

no, ignore the ranking. If its the right uni for you thats what matters...
Anonymous #1
Well, your GP can't breach confidentiality unless it's due to safety concerns for you (aka they want to section you). Seek help, a lot of this can be done via phone or online nowadays anyway, you wouldn't be going there in person at the minute due to the pandemic, but computerised CBT was a thing pre-pandemic too.
(Original post by jackien1)
You can't walk or get public transport?

Secondly it's illegal for your GP to tell them (pretty sure).

If you want to wallow then face up to it and admit it, don't just make stupid excuses as to why you "can't" do things.
it's too far for me to walk , its just a little bit more deeper and confidential than that so i don't feel like posting my mental health issues on tsr :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
no, ignore the ranking. If its the right uni for you thats what matters...
and if other people mock my uni ranking , what then ?
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My uni does poorly in league tables but is 2nd in the UK for my subject. I really wouldn't worry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
31.78%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.4%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.36%

Watched Threads