Do you understand exactly how your grades will be decided this summer?

Watch
Poll: Do you understand exactly how your grades will be decided this summer?
Yes (161)
30.96%
No (260)
50%
I don't need to understand (99)
19.04%
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys, :wavey:

There has been a fair bit in the news recently once again about the process that GCSE, A-levels and BTECs will be awarded this summer. I wanted to find out if students now completely understood exactly how their grades will be decided this year. Has the process been explained well enough to you?

Specifically how the whole process will work, from teachers roles, exam board and Ofqual's standardisation, how results day will play out and how your future pathways are likely to be affected.

If you are still slightly in the dark, what kind of information could TSR help provide you to keep you in the know? What can we do to help shine a light on everything going on this summer, and how can we continue to help provide the right information, in the right way at the right time.

Is this summers grading process clear to you, the people that it most affects?
Schnuckiboo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm mainly worried about how Ofqual are going to approach standardising the grades for small cohorts at low performing schools. My classes are between 9-12 people and I'm worried that our grades will be moderated down quite a lot even for the students performing above average- no one's ever achieved an A* in chem but we have 3-4 private candidates working at that level in our class this year, so I feel that Ofqual will suspect that the teachers are being too generous even if that isn't the case. And I've got a place for vet med so I'm not sure how lenient they would be if I missed the grades due to the standardisation process.
Pablopip
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Schnuckiboo)
I'm mainly worried about how Ofqual are going to approach standardising the grades for small cohorts at low performing schools. My classes are between 9-12 people and I'm worried that our grades will be moderated down quite a lot even for the students performing above average- no one's ever achieved an A* in chem but we have 3-4 private candidates working at that level in our class this year, so I feel that Ofqual will suspect that the teachers are being too generous even if that isn't the case. And I've got a place for vet med so I'm not sure how lenient they would be if I missed the grades due to the standardisation process.
As well as giving each student predicted grades, teachers will rank the students and Ofqual will use that as well as previous year's results to standardise
nathan_nacu
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hi guys, :wavey:

There has been a fair bit in the news recently once again about the process that GCSE, A-levels and BTECs will be awarded this summer. I wanted to find out if students now completely understood exactly how their grades will be decided this year. Has the process been explained well enough to you?

Specifically how the whole process will work, from teachers roles, exam board and Ofqual's standardisation, how results day will play out and how your future pathways are likely to be affected.

If you are still slightly in the dark, what kind of information could TSR help provide you to keep you in the know? What can we do to help shine a light on everything going on this summer, and how can we continue to help provide the right information, in the right way at the right time.

Is this summers grading process clear to you, the people that it most affects?
Nope, my teachers just send me links to the Ofqual website
nathan_nacu
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I really hate this method, my school already had rankings previously, i was 3rd in my year for sociology had gotten A*, B, A in my mocks and 4A* in my practice papers. Suddenly my teacher left in December, my new teacher couldn’t find my mock scripts so the new one couldn’t ‘gauge my talent’ apparently and on my 4th mock i got a B 🙂. So she saw me as a B student though i was ranked top 3 out of 75 students and was predicted an A* and that was our last mock and my only one with her. My ranking plummeted out of the top 10 and my college is shet so there aren’t many A* students annually (like 4 idk) so I’m kissing my chances of the A* i worked so hard for goodbye because I doubt my new teacher believes in me standardisation. Even though i had to teach myself a whole new module alongside the ones everyone was already doing for Paper 2 automatically meaning i was working harder than everyone in my year.

Sorry for my rant i was just frustrated. Brutal Bee how do u feel ?
Last edited by nathan_nacu; 1 week ago
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't see how anyone can know exactly how grades will be awarded considering Ofqual has hidden most of their plans for the grade standardisation process. Even the Royal Statistical Society has concerns about the lack of clarity and transparency (https://committees.parliament.uk/wri...hf37BHC3O-Wn40).
veryworriediam
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lightning720)
I don't see how anyone can know exactly how grades will be awarded considering Ofqual has hidden most of their plans for the grade standardisation process. Even the Royal Statistical Society has concerns about the lack of clarity and transparency (https://committees.parliament.uk/wri...hf37BHC3O-Wn40).
could not agree more
divivivi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
I really hate this method, my school already had rankings previously, i was 3rd in my year for sociology had gotten A*, B, A in my mocks and 4A* in my practice papers. Suddenly my teacher left in December, my new teacher couldn’t find my mock scripts so the new one couldn’t ‘gauge my talent’ apparently and on my 4th mock i got a B 🙂. So she saw me as a B student though i was ranked top 3 out of 75 students and was predicted an A* and that was our last mock and my only one with her. My ranking plummeted out of the top 10 and my college is shet so there aren’t many A* students annually (like 4 idk) so I’m kissing my chances of the A* i worked so hard for goodbye because I doubt my new teacher believes in me standardisation. Even though i had to teach myself a whole new module alongside the ones everyone was already doing for Paper 2 automatically meaning i was working harder than everyone in my year.

Sorry for my rant i was just frustrated. Brutal Bee how do u feel ?
im literally in the same situation!! it’s so frustrating that you don’t know what’s going to happen
Abdullah101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lol,what about those geniuses who thought that instead of trying in the mocks they would rather prepare for the actual exam and then....
econhelp525
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Abdullah101)
lol,what about those geniuses who thought that instead of trying in the mocks they would rather prepare for the actual exam and then....
Not every school does mocks in the same way. Some schools have much more difficult, and skewed grade boundaries, than other schools. There could be a student who did try hard in their mocks and ended up with average mock grades due to their school, when at another school that same performance would've granted higher grades. So stop talking out of your ass.
Michael Bell_66
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And if it turns out your grades are "statistically standardised" downwards by the Ofqual model (of which there are no details and Ofqual tell me they won't be releasing until after results day), then you have no right of appeal as an individual student. Anyone who tells you otherwise has not read the documentation properly. (You can try to make a complaint about bias or discrimination to your school/college, yes, but that's not an appeal to the exam board about your grades).
Abdullah101
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by econhelp525)
Not every school does mocks in the same way. Some schools have much more difficult, and skewed grade boundaries, than other schools. There could be a student who did try hard in their mocks and ended up with average mock grades due to their school, when at another school that same performance would've granted higher grades. So stop talking out of your ass.
You missed my point,i was implying that the mocks would not be the end of the world for those students,so do not be ignorant and get your brain out of your ass.
nathan_nacu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by divivivi)
im literally in the same situation!! it’s so frustrating that you don’t know what’s going to happen
I just feel so helpless lol, if i get a B and I can’t get into Manchester I’m gonna flip
Michael Bell_66
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
I just feel so helpless lol, if i get a B and I can’t get into Manchester I’m gonna flip
Try not to feel helpless, there are people trying hard to get this challenged. Search crowdjustice ofqual challenge. There's also a closed Facebook group, search 2020 A Level grading issues: support group looking at this.
I also know of at least two petitions on change.org.
Daisy02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nope, and i'm absolutely sh***ing myself
Equine.studies
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
http://chng.it/vzRC2b6vwF

Thanks for the info Michael, this is what i found. Putting it here for any who want it.
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Forgive me, but I feel like the problem with teachers predicting grades (and students being annoyed at them) and the standardisation is the issue that there‘s at least one pupil every year who we know underperforms. Teachers are always blindsided by this and so the standardisation is necessary, however, it’s really going to hurt those ‘middling’ students. Those who don’t really excel at the subject but aren’t awful easier.

My history class is exceptionally bright. I mean I am ranked (I would guess) maybe about 7th of 9th students - but that’s because the 6 students above me are all predicted A*s and myself and the two students ‘below’ me are predicted As. We have been told the whole year we are an exceptional class. With that being said, the History grades in previous years have varied from 100% A* all the way to a D. I would be hard pushed to believe everyone will get the grades they’re predicted.

Also, are they looking at a school’s performance by subject - or overall? My school has a ridiculously high A*-A rate for STEM subjects but it falters in humanities (last year 3 students took politics and got B/C/D)
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
Forgive me, but I feel like the problem with teachers predicting grades (and students being annoyed at them) and the standardisation is the issue that there‘s at least one pupil every year who we know underperforms. Teachers are always blindsided by this and so the standardisation is necessary, however, it’s really going to hurt those ‘middling’ students. Those who don’t really excel at the subject but aren’t awful easier.

My history class is exceptionally bright. I mean I am ranked (I would guess) maybe about 7th of 9th students - but that’s because the 6 students above me are all predicted A*s and myself and the two students ‘below’ me are predicted As. We have been told the whole year we are an exceptional class. With that being said, the History grades in previous years have varied from 100% A* all the way to a D. I would be hard pushed to believe everyone will get the grades they’re predicted.

Also, are they looking at a school’s performance by subject - or overall? My school has a ridiculously high A*-A rate for STEM subjects but it falters in humanities (last year 3 students took politics and got B/C/D)
I'm 90% sure they look at each subject separately.
WaterBottle18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)

Ive heard they look at school performance in the past too. I moved skls for yr13 to a skl that doesnt perform that well overall
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (27)
8.21%
Confident (43)
13.07%
Indifferent (51)
15.5%
Unsure (80)
24.32%
Worried (128)
38.91%

Watched Threads