ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Welcome to the Barts and the London (QMUL) A101 2021 Entry Discussion.

QMUL A101 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6022342

For general information click: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/a101/

For entry requirements click: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...te-entry-mbbs/

QMUL A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6965068

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
Jamesg95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey team, just looking at the entry requirements for those with science degrees, and it says you need A levels in biology and/or chem depending on your degree. Also for non-science degrees it’s bio or chem. I have physics - does anyone know if this actually means I need bio and chem A levels? Just seems a bit strange to me that the science degrees would need both but non-science don’t, if it’s the same course!

I’ve emailed them but understandably no reply as of yet!
boredom07
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Jamesg95)
Hey team, just looking at the entry requirements for those with science degrees, and it says you need A levels in biology and/or chem depending on your degree. Also for non-science degrees it’s bio or chem. I have physics - does anyone know if this actually means I need bio and chem A levels? Just seems a bit strange to me that the science degrees would need both but non-science don’t, if it’s the same course!

I’ve emailed them but understandably no reply as of yet!
I think for non-science degrees, it’s bio or chem plus another science (which can be physics) with a minimum grade B at AS or A level

Here’s the link with more details:
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...s/acceptquals/
Jamesg95
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by boredom07)
I think for non-science degrees, it’s bio or chem plus another science (which can be physics) with a minimum grade B at AS or A level

Here’s the link with more details:
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...s/acceptquals/
Thanks for the reply - I should have been clearer, I have a physics degree and chemistry and physics A levels (but not biology). So still slightly unclear as the degree checker just says "A/AS Level Chemistry or Biology required - yes" but then the main entry requirements page says "biology and/or chemistry depending on what's in your degree". Any thoughts?
boredom07
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Jamesg95)
Thanks for the reply - I should have been clearer, I have a physics degree and chemistry and physics A levels (but not biology). So still slightly unclear as the degree checker just says "A/AS Level Chemistry or Biology required - yes" but then the main entry requirements page says "biology and/or chemistry depending on what's in your degree". Any thoughts?
Ah makes sense. On that same page, there’s an option to search a degree and see its specific requirements. For physics it says “A/AS Level Chemistry or Biology required (minimum C grade)”.

But I think you should try contacting them again just to be safe and to confirm. Hopefully they get around soon.
biomed6583
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Do I have a chance of an interview with 2730 UCAT and an achieved first (MPharm)?

Thanks
Argonaute
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by biomed6583)
Do I have a chance of an interview with 2730 UCAT and an achieved first (MPharm)?

Thanks
Last year the lowest TSR applicant got 2770, not sure what the official lowest score was (perhaps submit a freedom of information request?), but you're fairly close so would probably be borderline. Of course, we won't have any idea what the lowest UCAT score needed for an interview will be this year, and scores could definitely drop (it's a bit too early in the testing cycle to tell). The achieved first puts you in very very good stead due to their 50:50 scoring so well done on that!
I'd say if you really like Barts I'd go for it, provided your other choices are fairly secure!

Edit: just had a look on their website - "The top and bottom UCAT scores for Graduates that received offers for interview this year was 3480 and 2750 respectively. Information on the UCAT scores and deciles can be found on their website."
Last edited by Argonaute; 11 months ago
Hdheimdnbf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I got 2780 with a predicted first do I have a chance?
Thas_X
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,What chance do you think I have of QMUL or KCL GEM. I got a first in biomedical science and for my UCAT i got 2530. my scores were 650 650 690 with a 540 in VR unfortunately. I also got band 1 in SJTkind regards
Hdheimdnbf
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Thas_X)
Hi,What chance do you think I have of QMUL or KCL GEM. I got a first in biomedical science and for my UCAT i got 2530. my scores were 650 650 690 with a 540 in VR unfortunately. I also got band 1 in SJTkind regards
They look at degree and ucat in a 50:50 balance according to the uni the lowest last year was 2770 for Barts and for KCL I don’t think I’ve seen anyone get in with anything lower than 2780 but they do say they’re holistic! Have you thought about 5 year Med?
mma1234
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Does anyone know whether they look at achieved and predicted degree classifications equally? Thanks
Hdheimdnbf
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mma1234)
Does anyone know whether they look at achieved and predicted degree classifications equally? Thanks
I believe they do! Do check with the uni just in case!
Thas_X
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Hdheimdnbf)
They look at degree and ucat in a 50:50 balance according to the uni the lowest last year was 2770 for Barts and for KCL I don’t think I’ve seen anyone get in with anything lower than 2780 but they do say they’re holistic! Have you thought about 5 year Med?
Do you think i would have a chance with the 5 year med?

regards
11OME49
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Would we be allowed to apply to both A101 and A100. I could only apply to a selected amount of unis with my degree and my UCAT results.
asclepeion
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 11OME49)
Would we be allowed to apply to both A101 and A100. I could only apply to a selected amount of unis with my degree and my UCAT results.
Yep, that'll count as 2/4 UCAS choices.
orange1920
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
When assessing candidates on their academic score, does QMUL consider the most recent degree the candidate has studied or do they consider the undergrad degree only? Do masters contribute more points to the academic score?
Calcification
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by orange1920)
When assessing candidates on their academic score, does QMUL consider the most recent degree the candidate has studied or do they consider the undergrad degree only? Do masters contribute more points to the academic score?
I think they only consider undergraduate degree now. Used to have extra points for higher degrees, but not any more.
asclepeion
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by orange1920)
Academic points

Graduates are expected to meet our requirements of 2:1 or higher in an undergraduate degree.

How we use academic points
All applicants are given points for achieving a 2:1 in their first undergraduate degree. Other points are awarded for:

First class undergraduate degree
Academic points are then weighted to be considered as strongly as the UKCAT score. Both scores are looked at equally when ranking for interview.

That’s all they say
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...tion-criteria/
JohnL7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey guys,

I scored an avg of 660, band 1 in my UCAT and have achieved a 1st class Hons in Economics (BSc) - can anyone shed any advice on whether it would be worth applying for the A101 or is there no point? Would this be competitive enough if applying to the A100?

Thanks!
Last edited by JohnL7; 9 months ago
30 Colv
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does Barts do only one assessment centre? I know on the page it says it is online now btw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads