The Student Room Group

Getting over an ex in lockdown

Hi a couple of weeks before lockdown was announced the guy I was seeing ended things with me. I'm really struggling in lockdown to get over him and to be happy. I've blocked him on every social media, not because I'm angry at him but so I don't check up on him as often. I feel like it's turning me into a psycho! I feel myself comparing me with his new girlfriend (who he started seeing 3 days after we broke up). I'm really struggling in lockdown as I keep overthinking everything. I don't want to be this person!!
Please any advice would be great!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi a couple of weeks before lockdown was announced the guy I was seeing ended things with me. I'm really struggling in lockdown to get over him and to be happy. I've blocked him on every social media, not because I'm angry at him but so I don't check up on him as often. I feel like it's turning me into a psycho! I feel myself comparing me with his new girlfriend (who he started seeing 3 days after we broke up). I'm really struggling in lockdown as I keep overthinking everything. I don't want to be this person!!
Please any advice would be great!!

I can honestly understand and feel your pain. As my ex also broke up with me because she lost feelings for me. Ik it is very pressuring on your heart and soul and you just feel miserable. I went into a huge slump. But at the end of the day you have to understand that what happened happened and it can't be undone. If someone wants to walk out of your life let them walk. Its for a reason. He no longer cares about you, so why you gonna continue showing him interest and attention he doesn't deserve?. The way I look at it is by examining what I can do better next time and what lesson I can take away from this. Like I learnt That one shouldn't put effort into someone when they don't share the same effort back. For you it could be something else, but as long as you learn something from this, you are going to come out a better person and stronger.

Also understand that if this relationship was meant to be then it would not have ended. That's good news because u no longer have to waste time worrying about him. I know its hard to believe but someone wayy better will come along one day and will treat you right and you will have exceptionally larger feelings for him then with this one. Until then you need to be active and work on yourself to become better and I promise you will improve once
you decide to work hard on yourself.

Just know your valuable and worth it, and essentially this time will build ur character and make you stronger. This pain will not last forever I promise.

tbh I am still affected but what I will say is I don't spend my time thinking about her anymore because I see her for who she really was and am thankful that I managed to break free from her toxic grasp. And I can stand here proudly and admit that I am 10x a better person than I was before, and guess what that means you will start attracting more people and will save you from making similar mistakes in the past.

I am not very good at giving advice but since I went through this issue quite recently I thought I would share my views. If u wanna talk about it sometime lemme know.
Hey, I had to get over someone at the start of lockdown so I totally understand how you're feeling and I'm sending virtual hugs your way!

It's really great you've blocked him on everything, I'm pretty sure that was what was key to me getting over this person.

First, you want to make sure you've felt the pain of the break up - what I mean by this is you've cried it out, watched sad movies, eaten ice cream, felt sorry for yourself for a few days. Then you just have to try and block all thoughts of them from out of your head - can you meet up with some friends? Talking it out or distracting yourself with them could be really beneficial. You can also try taking up a new hobby, starting a new sport, starting a new TV series - anything to get your mind off of him.

I found making a change to myself helped too, I cut myself a fringe lol. Make yourself feel good, love yourself and eventually, you're gonna find someone else and you'll forget all about this other guy. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Smoky saif
I can honestly understand and feel your pain. As my ex also broke up with me because she lost feelings for me. Ik it is very pressuring on your heart and soul and you just feel miserable. I went into a huge slump. But at the end of the day you have to understand that what happened happened and it can't be undone. If someone wants to walk out of your life let them walk. Its for a reason. He no longer cares about you, so why you gonna continue showing him interest and attention he doesn't deserve?. The way I look at it is by examining what I can do better next time and what lesson I can take away from this. Like I learnt That one shouldn't put effort into someone when they don't share the same effort back. For you it could be something else, but as long as you learn something from this, you are going to come out a better person and stronger.

Also understand that if this relationship was meant to be then it would not have ended. That's good news because u no longer have to waste time worrying about him. I know its hard to believe but someone wayy better will come along one day and will treat you right and you will have exceptionally larger feelings for him then with this one. Until then you need to be active and work on yourself to become better and I promise you will improve once
you decide to work hard on yourself.

Just know your valuable and worth it, and essentially this time will build ur character and make you stronger. This pain will not last forever I promise.

tbh I am still affected but what I will say is I don't spend my time thinking about her anymore because I see her for who she really was and am thankful that I managed to break free from her toxic grasp. And I can stand here proudly and admit that I am 10x a better person than I was before, and guess what that means you will start attracting more people and will save you from making similar mistakes in the past.

I am not very good at giving advice but since I went through this issue quite recently I thought I would share my views. If u wanna talk about it sometime lemme know.

Original post by wastedcuriosity
Hey, I had to get over someone at the start of lockdown so I totally understand how you're feeling and I'm sending virtual hugs your way!

It's really great you've blocked him on everything, I'm pretty sure that was what was key to me getting over this person.

First, you want to make sure you've felt the pain of the break up - what I mean by this is you've cried it out, watched sad movies, eaten ice cream, felt sorry for yourself for a few days. Then you just have to try and block all thoughts of them from out of your head - can you meet up with some friends? Talking it out or distracting yourself with them could be really beneficial. You can also try taking up a new hobby, starting a new sport, starting a new TV series - anything to get your mind off of him.

I found making a change to myself helped too, I cut myself a fringe lol. Make yourself feel good, love yourself and eventually, you're gonna find someone else and you'll forget all about this other guy. :smile:

Thank you both! You've both given me a lot of help that hopefully will work! Thanks you so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending